Stop a function with "Stop" button

• I have a function that runs some calculations and I would like to allow user to stop it with a button.
    In the interface there are two simple button: Start and Stop.

I don't know exactely what do you need as code, the function is very long... let me know!

Thank you

• Mmh... I assume, you are running your calculations in your GUI-Thread? (Or did you explicitly create a worker thread?)

If that is true, your application can't process GUI-Events as long as the calculation is in progress. You can force your GUI-Thread to process events, if you do the following function within your loop:

QCoreApplication::processEvents();

If you do so, your application should first become "kind-of-responsive" again. [Better would be to create a worker thread for your calculation!]

Next step is, that the Stop-Button sets a flag, that it has been pressed. Then you check this flag within your calculation loop and if it is set, you break out of the loop and stop the calculation.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Tobias

• In my opinion the question is too vague. Have considered the option to do the calculations in a separate thread using "QThread":https://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qthread.html? You can bind a signal from your GUI with a slot of the thread and to terminate it.

• I have a rule of thumb: "Never use Terminate-Thread!"

Reason is simple: you never know, when exactly i gets terminated, so application state after termination may be undefined, for example: what happens if you terminate the thread while it is inside a Critical Section? It will never leave it... and the critical section will be blocked forever...

• [quote author="topse" date="1398855116"]I have a rule of thumb: "Never use Terminate-Thread!"

Reason is simple: you never know, when exactly i gets terminated, so application state after termination may be undefined, for example: what happens if you terminate the thread while it is inside a Critical Section? It will never leave it... and the critical section will be blocked forever...[/quote]

As I said before the question is too vague. The solution depends on the exact situation.
    Here a good article about "Keeping the GUI Responsive":http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq27-responsive-guis.html with Qt. As you can see several approaches are described, including a way using a worker thread. There a lot of well known paradigms to escape from deadlocks and to handle critical sections and resource in multithreaded applications.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.