QTextBlockUserData and Undo stack

• Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone of you know how to implement undo feature for QTextDocument to store QTextBlockUserData

On Qt doc page for QTextBlock::setUserData (QTextBlockUserData * data) function is written:

"The user data object is not stored in the undo history, so it will not be available after undoing the deletion of a text block"

So how to be able to restore user data for deleted text?

• A bit late for this reply perhaps but this is actually fairly simple to do using the QTextFormat::UserProperty (0x100000) of the associated QTextBlockFormat for the QTextBlock Instead of getting or setting userData functions. The QTextBlockFormat properties are preserved during undo and redo operations. Instead of storing a data pointer you save the data as a QVariant in the format properties.

Note, you can also do this for any of the formats that are derived from QTextFormat (i.e., QTextBlockFormat, QTextCharFormat, QTextFrameFormat, and QTextListFormat). In my case I have a simple set of indexes that reference entries to a QHash stored in a structure for my format userData and I have no trouble with undo/redo functions. I also store userData in both block and frame formats successfully using a set of helper functions I developed for that purpose but if the userData is simple enough then setting or getting the data directly is relatively straightforward.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.