ListView contentY problem

• Hi

In my QML app I have a ListView populated from a model. Each delegate in the ListView is a button which moves you to a new screen. I save the ListView's contentY property so that when the user moves back, he/she can be at the same point in the list as when he left it.

The problem is that, if this point is some way down the list, there is a pause to move there, because the ListView instantiates each delegate until that point is reached.

In a list with many delegates this causes a noticeable slow-down.

I guess this happens because the system doesn't know what height each delegate is, so it has to instantiate each one to figure out which delegate is at the given Y co-ordinate.

Is there a way round this? e.g. to specify a fixed height for each delegate? Or to give delegates a way to return their height without instantiating themselves (Cocoa Touch's ListView equivalent, I forget what it is called, offers both of these).

Thanks

• I thought there was something like an "averageItemHeight" property (or something along those lines), but I can not find it anymore, so I might have been mistaken on that. Does it help if you set the contentHeight property explicitly to the height of your delegate * the number of items in your list?

• Hi,

You should be able to use ListView's "positionViewAtIndex()":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/qml-listview.html#positionViewAtIndex-method function for this.

Regards,
    Michael

Edit: fixed URL (Andre)

• I also have listViews that I use in an app I am developing. It also goes to a different page when an item is clicked. The strange thing is, when I go back, it is already in the place I left it, without using any other programming like Y position or what not. My question is are you making it load the listview over and over again. When I move away from my list I just make that list view visible: false. For me that keeps the list where it was and when I go back the visible: true just makes it seen again. If there is no need to repopulate the list then this should solve your problem.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.