[Solved] error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol

• Hello,

I have three errors and I don't know where it comes from and how to solve it. There were not here before. I have shown topics on the internet, but it's very confusing, and the proposals didn't work for me. The errors are

@errorMsg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual struct QMetaObject const * __thiscall errorMsg::metaObject(void)const " (?metaObject@errorMsg@@UBEPBUQMetaObject@@XZ)

errorMsg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void * __thiscall errorMsg::qt_metacast(char const *)" (?qt_metacast@errorMsg@@UAEPAXPBD@Z)

errorMsg.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual int __thiscall errorMsg::qt_metacall(enum QMetaObject::Call,int,void * *)" (?qt_metacall@errorMsg@@UAEHW4Call@QMetaObject@@HPAPAX@Z)@

• This looks like the moc_errorMsg.cpp is not up to date or not used when linking your application.

• Yeah that's right at the beginning for the moc generation there is

@errorMsg.h(13): Note: No relevant classes found. No output generated.@

But I really don't know how to fix it.

NB: the file is well included in the .pro file

• Did you put the Q_OBJECT macro at the beginning of your class declaration? E.g:

class errorMsg : [...]
    {
        Q_OBJECT

• Yes I did

• What does you errorMsg class declaration look like?

• @#ifndef ERRORMSG_H
    #define ERRORMSG_H

class errorMsg : public QObject
    {
    Q_OBJECT

public:
    errorMsg();
    ~errorMsg();
    void writeErrorMsg(QString msg, int value);

};

#endif //ERRORMSG_H@

• Apart from the

-errorMsg();

which I assume is a typo, this looks almost OK. You seem to be missing the

#include <QtCore/QObject>

directive.

• The "~errorMsg();" is the destructor, but it is not so usefull.

I added your include line but it didn't change anything.

My includes are

@#include <QString>
    #include <QFile>
    #include <QTextStream>
    #include <iostream>
    #include <QDateTime>
    #include <QLabel>
    #include <QTextEdit>
    #include <QtCore/QObject>
    #include "mainform.h"@

• [quote author="bern69" date="1396621287"]The "~errorMsg();" is the destructor, but it is not so usefull.
    [/quote]
    Obviously, but the "-" should read as a "~"...

Indeed the include I told you to add is not needed since many widgets are already included.

I guess you've already tried to rerun qmake and it didn't change a thing.

Could you provide your (complete) .pro file?

Edit: is it only me who sees the tilda as an hyphen?

• Why would you like to build your errorMsg with Q_OBJECT if you don't declare any signals/slots inside it nor use other Qt's meta-object system services?

• I removed Q_OBJECT from the class and it works now! Thank you very much! I inserted it because I will program some signals and slots later. If I understand, I have to keep it as commentary until the first slot is inserted?

• Yes. I don't understand why moc doesn't generate an empty .moc file and some warnings in such case, but it's how it works.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.