Solved : Problems using QGLWidget as base to promote to own class

• Hi all!
    To add some graph plotting to a widget I want to use QGLWidget as base widget in designer and promote to my own derived class. But QGLWidget does not show up in the list. So I tried to promote from QWidget directly but the resulting code does not compile.
    As i presume the error is somewhere else, (i am exporting my code into a library first), my first question is:

• is the way i described it the way it should work (e.g. use of the base class should work, too?)
      And secondly:
    • why is QGLWidget not available for selection to promote from in design mode? (using QtCreator2.8.1).

any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators

In Designer you can use a QWidget as a placeholder and RMB on it to promote it as explained "in this article":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/designer-using-custom-widgets.html

I haven't done it with QGLwidget myself though, but should work.

hope this helps

• Ok, thx.
    So i'll check for the library inclusion first.

• Hmm. I found that the linker explicitly seeks for a directly QWidget-derived class, so without being able to choose QGLWidget as base, I think I will not be able to use the designer ui-file and thus need to code the ui manually again :-(.
    Is it generally impossible to promote through more than one level of inheritance?

EDIT:
    After finding out some more about the use of libraries under Qt,Win32 and MSVC, I can confirm that use of QWidget as placeholder is possible, so multiple levels of inheritance work here and designer can be used as I hoped without knowing the one-below-top-level derived class.

• Moderators

Thanks for confirming your findings to the forum

happy coding!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.