Build error using Qt5.2.1 and libvlc-qt

• I am a total newbie and just learning Qt. I am trying the DemoPlayer example "here":https://github.com/ntadej/vlc-qt that shows how to link Qt to libVLC.

I installed Qt5.2.1 on a Windows XP machine, vlc-qt-0.8.1 and installed libVLC . I think I have setup the project correctly with the libraries and the include paths but when I build I got errors shown below:

C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to _imp___ZN8VlcMediaC1ERK7QStringbP11VlcInstance' C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to_imp___ZN14VlcMediaPlayer4openEP8VlcMedia'
    C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to _imp___ZN8VlcMediaC1ERK7QStringP11VlcInstance' C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to_imp___ZN14VlcMediaPlayer4openEP8VlcMedia'
    C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to _imp___ZN9VlcCommon4argsEv' C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to_imp___ZN11VlcInstanceC1ERK11QStringListP7QObject'
    C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to _imp___ZN14VlcMediaPlayerC1EP11VlcInstance' C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to_imp___ZN14VlcMediaPlayer14setVideoWidgetEP16VlcVideoDelegate'
    C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to _imp___ZN14VlcWidgetVideo14setMediaPlayerEP14VlcMediaPlayer' C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to_imp___ZN21VlcWidgetVolumeSlider14setMediaPlayerEP14VlcMediaPlayer'
    C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to _imp___ZN21VlcWidgetVolumeSlider9setVolumeEi' C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\demo-player\src\DemoPlayer.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to_imp___ZN13VlcWidgetSeek14setMediaPlayerEP14VlcMediaPlayer'
    :-1: error: release/DemoPlayer.o: bad reloc address 0x20 in section `.text$_ZN7QStringD1Ev[__ZN7QStringD1Ev]'
    collect2.exe:-1: error: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Here are my files:

demo-player.pro
    @
    TEMPLATE = subdirs

SUBDIRS +=
    src
    @

src.pro
    @TARGET = demo-player
    TEMPLATE = app

QT += core gui widgets

SOURCES += main.cpp
    DemoPlayer.cpp

HEADERS += DemoPlayer.h

FORMS += DemoPlayer.ui

Edit below for custom library location

LIBS += -LC:\Qt\libvlc-qt\lib -lvlc-qt -lvlc-qt-widgets
    INCLUDEPATH += C:\Qt\libvlc-qt\include
    @

DemoPlayer.h

@TARGET = demo-player
    TEMPLATE = app

QT += core gui widgets

SOURCES += main.cpp
    DemoPlayer.cpp

HEADERS += DemoPlayer.h

FORMS += DemoPlayer.ui

Edit below for custom library location

LIBS += -LC:\Qt\libvlc-qt\lib -lvlc-qt -lvlc-qt-widgets
    INCLUDEPATH += C:\Qt\libvlc-qt\include
    @

DemoPlayer.cpp
    @
    #include <QFileDialog>
    #include <QInputDialog>

#include <vlc-qt/Common.h>
    #include <vlc-qt/Instance.h>
    #include <vlc-qt/Media.h>
    #include <vlc-qt/MediaPlayer.h>

#include "DemoPlayer.h"
    #include "ui_DemoPlayer.h"

DemoPlayer::DemoPlayer(QWidget *parent)
    : QMainWindow(parent),
    ui(new Ui::DemoPlayer),
    _media(0)
    {
    ui->setupUi(this);

_instance = new VlcInstance(VlcCommon::args(), this);
    _player = new VlcMediaPlayer(_instance);
    _player->setVideoWidget(ui->video);

ui->video->setMediaPlayer(_player);
    ui->volume->setMediaPlayer(_player);
    ui->volume->setVolume(50);
    ui->seek->setMediaPlayer(_player);

connect(ui->actionOpenLocal, SIGNAL(triggered()), this, SLOT(openLocal()));
    connect(ui->actionOpenUrl, SIGNAL(triggered()), this, SLOT(openUrl()));
    connect(ui->actionPause, SIGNAL(triggered()), _player, SLOT(pause()));
    connect(ui->actionStop, SIGNAL(triggered()), _player, SLOT(stop()));
    connect(ui->openLocal, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SLOT(openLocal()));
    connect(ui->openUrl, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SLOT(openUrl()));
    connect(ui->pause, SIGNAL(clicked()), _player, SLOT(pause()));
    connect(ui->stop, SIGNAL(clicked()), _player, SLOT(stop()));

}

DemoPlayer::~DemoPlayer()
    {
    delete _player;
    delete _media;
    delete _instance;
    delete ui;
    }

void DemoPlayer::openLocal()
    {
    QString file =
    QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this, tr("Open file"),
    QDir::homePath(),
    tr("Multimedia files(*)"));

if (file.isEmpty())
        return;

_media = new VlcMedia(file, true, _instance);

_player->open(_media);

}

void DemoPlayer::openUrl()
    {
    QString url =
    QInputDialog::getText(this, tr("Open Url"), tr("Enter the URL you want to play"));

if (url.isEmpty())
        return;

_media = new VlcMedia(url, _instance);

_player->open(_media);

}
    @

main.cpp

@#include <QCoreApplication>
    #include <QTextCodec>
    #include <QApplication>

#include "DemoPlayer.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QCoreApplication::setApplicationName("VLC-Qt Demo Player");
    QCoreApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_X11InitThreads);

//QTextCodec::setCodecForCStrings(QTextCodec::codecForName("UTF-8"));

QApplication app(argc, argv);
    DemoPlayer mainWindow;
    mainWindow.show();

return app.exec();

}
    @

I am not sure if this has something to do with the version of Qt that I used? According to "this":http://projects.tano.si/vlc-qt I should be installing Qt 5.1.1 and VLC 2.0.8. I tried installing Qt5.1.1 but did not find the binaries and by the look of it , it seems complicated to rebuild from source.

Anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• I think using Qt 5.1 or 5.2 doesn't matter so much, maybe instead of you have a mixup of compilers?
    What I mean, maybe you are building the Demo Player using the MinGW compiler and libvlc was built with Microsoft's compiler? Or the other way around :-)

• Thanks for the suggestion.

I am using vlc-qt-0.8.1 and in the changelog I see

0.8.1 (2013-04-27)

• Autodetect Qt4 or Qt5
    • Restored MinGW support
    • Windows SDK updated to Qt 5.0.2 and VLC 2.0.6 with release and debug builds

The libVLC-qt version that I downloaded is

libvlc-qt_0.9.0_win32_msvc2012.7z

so it appears that I downloaded the version compiled with Microsoft compiler.

When I opened DemoPlayer project in Qt, in the Build Settings I see in the Build steps
    Make: mingw32-make.exe in C:\Qt\vlc-qt-0.8.1\examples\build-demo-player-Desktop_Qt_5_2_1_MinGW_32bit-Release

Does this mean that this version of DemoPlayer has to be compiled with MinGW or is it because the default compiler that was found was MinGW? I haven't installed Visual Studio in the PC.

So to make this work, either I install Visual Studio or get version of libvc-qt that will work with MinGW? I looked in this "site":ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.0.7/win32/ but it is not clear which one to choose?

• Hi, well installing Visual Studio is not easy for you since you're running Windows XP. So the other way, get a libvc-qt that is built with MinGW is your best bet.

If you cannot find one online, why not try to build it yourself? Download the sources for libvc-qt and give it a try. I don't know if you open libvc-qt as a project in QtCreator or if you compile it with MinGW on the command line, but it should be documented at their site!

• I'm at the same point.

I'm going to try to build it using QtCreator, because, if i'm not wrong, i need full version of Visual Studio (not express edition, I mean) and i need to pay for it.

Did you go further, and can you give me some tips?

• I was stuck for a while, but just recently I came across this post

http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/37320/

to configure MinGW to QtCreator

I will give this one a try.

• Uh, I'm confused xD

Wasn't compiled with VS2012? why do you need to configure it to MinGW?

My QtCreator uses mingw and cannot compile vlc-qt.

Buf, I must learn more of this... not enough with code... my brain will melt!!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.