[QtCreator] Missing Welcome Plugin

• I am running QtCreator 3.0.0 on 64 bit Fedora 20. For some mysterious reason, the Linux version of QtCreator is packaged without the welcome plugin. I personally feel that Creator is downright ugly and a lot less user friendly without the Welcome page.

Is there a good reason why Linux users don't get to have the welcome page? Is there some way to add it?

Thanks,

Todd

• You seem to identify a specific Linux distribution with Linux in general. This is not a generic Linux problem, the Welcome Screen can be used on Linux.

Is the version your distribution ships compiled with Qt 4 or Qt 5? If it's Qt 4, the missing Welcome screen is expected due to its use of Qt Quick 2. Distributions are advised to use Qt 5.2 when building Qt Creator 3.0.

[Most of the Welcome screen functionality is available using the File->Recent Projects, File->Sessions and File->Session Manager, you miss only access to Demos and Examples and a couple of links]

• No. I was pretty specific. I said I was using the 64 bit version of Fedora 20. Also, I know what the lack of the Welcome screen is preventing me from accessing. It's a question of the appearance of the program and/or some convenience issues, more than anything else.

Anyway, thank you for you're response. As you suspected, my copy of Creator is compiled against Qt 4.8.5.

So, should I be addressing this to the package maintainers on the Fedora side of things then? It kind of sounds that way.

• Moderators

[quote]As you suspected, my copy of Creator is compiled against Qt 4.8.5.

So, should I be addressing this to the package maintainers on the Fedora side of things then? It kind of sounds that way.[/quote]If your copy of Qt Creator is from the official Fedora repo, then yes the Fedora package maintainers need to fix things.

I use "Qt 5.2.1 for Linux 64-bit (368 MB)" from http://qt-project.org/downloads for my Ubuntu machine, and I see the Qt Creator welcome screen.

• [quote author="Todd Carnes" date="1392595135"]No. I was pretty specific. I said I was using the 64 bit version of Fedora 20.[/quote] Right, but then you went on asking "why _Linux _users don’t get to have the welcome page". I am using Linux most of the day, and I do have a Welcome screen... Anyway.

[quote author="Todd Carnes" date="1392595135"]So, should I be addressing this to the package maintainers on the Fedora side of things then? It kind of sounds that way.[/quote] Yes, reporting that to the Fedora package maintainer certainly makes sense, maybe they will consider swiching to a Qt 5.2+ based build. You could try to argue that several plugins cannot be built with Qt 4. I don't know the processes there. Until then your options are probably restricted to one of the less-than-optimal solutions (live without the Welcome Screen, or build from source i.e. git@gitorious.org:qt-creator/qt-creator.git , or use a binary package from http://qt-project.org/downloads ) .

• Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess the way I said it could come across that way.

Sorry, for the poor word choice, but thank you for the assistance. :)

• I have run into the same question.I'm using Fedora 19,Qt 4.8.5,
    Qt-creator 3.0
    My problem is after using Qt-creator several times the Welcome page just disappeared.
    I compared with Qt under Windows and find out the missing plugins are 'welcome.dll'and 'welcome.pluginspec' .
    I think add these in Linux version to \lib\qtcreator\plugins\QtProject then the problem should be solved.
    But I don't know where to get specificly these two plugins.
    Please let me know if you get any progress.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.