Custom class objects in a tree

• Hi,

Im very new to Qt and having trouble getting my head around some of the concepts.

What I have is an abstract class (Foo) that I would like to keep in a tree structure, much like the Object tree in Designer. I would like the tree view to display two properties of Foo, the Name and Type. I would like this to work with internal drag and drop.

I see two approaches:

1. I add a parent and children pointers to my Foo class and use that to populate a QTreeWidget
    2. I make use of the QTreeView and implement QAbstractItemModel.

Option 1 feels comfortable but wasteful, so I started on option 2. Using the Editable Tree Model Example I quickly ran into problems.

Firstly I have two columns that I want to see in the tree, Name and Type, but these values are driven from Foo. So I wanted each TreeItem to hold an instance of Foo that it would query for the Name and Type columns. I did this by adding a third column to hold a pointer to a Foo instance (also added Q_DECLARE_METATYPE to Foo so QVariant would work).

Then I changed the data method in TreeModel to switch on the index.column and query the TreeItem via a getter i.e. getName and removed the data method in TreeItem and added the getters for name and type.

At this point it seemed to work but as soon as I tried to implement internal drag and drop I realised that this isn't going to 'just work'. The instance of Foo inside the TreeItem is lost during the insert/remove row dance.

Am I going about this the right way? Is adding a third column the only way to add an arbitrary class object to my tree nodes? Should I merge the concept of TreeItem and Foo? How would I do that when Foo is abstract?

Any help being pointed in the right direction to solve this (especially the Qt way) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.