(Newbie) Link error with the most simple class

• Hi,

I'm new to Qt and I use v5.2.
    I made a copy of one of the samples (hellogl, but I don't think this is of importance) to a directory where I'll store all my projects. I opened the copied project, compiled and runned it (in QtCreator). Everything worked fine.

Then I created the most simple class possible:

• Right click on project in QtCreator
    • Add new...
    • C++ class
    • I use the following parameters in the wizard: Class name: settings, Base class: QObject, Type information: inherits QObject (automatically set by the wizard), Header file: settings.h (automatically set by the wizard), Source file: settings.cpp (automatically set by the wizard), Path: <my project path, same as .pro> (automatically set by the wizard)
    • I did not add any code to this new class, so basically it only has a constructor:
      @
      #ifndef SETTINGS_H
      #define SETTINGS_H

#include <QObject>

class Settings : public QObject
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    explicit Settings(QObject *parent = 0);

signals:

public slots:

};

#endif // SETTINGS_H
    @

The project builds fine with the new class.

Then I tried to use it (directly in main.cpp, I just added the include and the instantiation on line 5 and 10):
    @
    #include <QApplication>
    #include <QDesktopWidget>

#include "window.h"
    #include "settings.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QApplication app(argc, argv);
    Settings *settings = new Settings();
    Window window;
    window.resize(window.sizeHint());
    int desktopArea = QApplication::desktop()->width() *
    QApplication::desktop()->height();
    int widgetArea = window.width() * window.height();
    if (((float)widgetArea / (float)desktopArea) < 0.75f)
    window.show();
    else
    window.showMaximized();
    return app.exec();
    }
    @

Now when I build (or rebuild, or clean/build) I get this link error:
    main.obj:-1: error: LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Settings::Settings(class QObject *)" (??0Settings@@QAE@PAVQObject@@@Z)

I tried to search online for solution, but I guess it is such a basic thing that nothing was available...Anyway please tell me if you have any ideas.

Thank you in advance.

• Welcome to the Qtworld.
    Change you line# to Settings *settings = new Settings;

• Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't change anything, I still get the same link error.

• Ok, I did make it work, however I'm not sure why.

Anyway, I was building with the MSVC2010 OpenGL toolkit. I thought I'd give a try to mingw...
    So I installed the kit with the Qt maintenance program, changed the current kit and it worked ! I could build and all...

Now the very troubling thing is that when I re-selecting the MSVC kit, then I could build and everything worked with that kit too.

I didn't change any line of my code, so my best guest is that the maintenance program managed somehow to make it work...

Anyway, problem solved.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.