Connect to qml file

• Hello,

I have multiple qml files in one project. I want to connect a signal from a cpp-file to a slot in one of the qml files. My main qml file is the main.qml
    The slot I want access is in the slots.qml file.

Here is my code so far:
    main.cpp
    @
    //.....
    QGuiApplication app(argc, argv);
    QtQuick2ApplicationViewer viewer;
    viewer.setMainQmlFile(QStringLiteral("qml/App/main.qml");

QObject::connect(&viewer, SIGNAL(button_pressed()), (QObject*)viewer.rootObject(), SLOT(button_pressed()));

viewer.showExpanded();
    return app.exec();
    @

slots.qml
    @
    //...
    Item {
    width:1280
    height:752
    i d: gui_slots
    //...
    function button_pressed() {
    console.log("Hello")
    }
    //...
    }
    @

If I copy the function button_pressed() to the main.qml I connect it successfully with the signal. But in the slots.qml file I can't connect it with this code. What should I change or add?

Thank you for all answers!

• Moderators

Hi,

[quote]If I copy the function button_pressed() to the main.qml I connect it successfully with the signal. But in the slots.qml file I can’t connect it with this code.[/quote]That's because your viewer's rootObject() refers to main.qml. Remember, you called this:
    @
    viewer.setMainQmlFile(QStringLiteral("qml/App/main.qml");
    @

How does your main.qml access slots.qml?

• [quote author="JKSH" date="1391616505"] How does your main.qml access slots.qml?[/quote]

Hey JKSH,

thank you for your fast answer.

I have defined states in the main.qml. Like this:

@
    //...
    slots{
    id:gui_slots
    }

states: {
    State {
    name: "gui_slots_state"
    PropertyChanges { target: gui_slots; visible:false; }
    //...
    }
    //...
    @

• Moderators

Hi,

That won't work. Only top-level functions can be accessed from outside the .qml file.
    @
    // main.qml
    Rectangle {
    id: topLevelRect
    function topLevelFunc() {...}

Rectangle {
        id: childRect
        function childFunc() {...}
    }

}
    @
    In the above, you can connect a C++ signal to topLevelFunc(), but you cannot connect to childFunc() because it is private. You have 3 options:

Implement the slots in main.qml directly, and connect your C++ signal to them.

Implement "forwarding" slots in main.qml, and connect your C++ signal to them. Then, make these slots in main.qml call the functions in slots.qml.

"Give your child an objectName, and search for it in C++":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtqml-cppintegration-interactqmlfromcpp.html#accessing-loaded-qml-objects-by-object-name. Warning: This is a NOT recommended technique. Programming this way can cause your projects to become difficult to maintain.

May I ask what you're trying to do? Why do you put your functions inside a separate slots.qml file?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.