Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QSettings - get setting value of form x,x|x,x|x,x|x,x| fails

• I am using QSettings to parse an ini file, which works fine except for one particular entry in the ini file (which I don't control).

[Key]
    KeyValue=7,10|4,6|3,3|2,2|

using

@QSettings settings(cfgPath, QSettings::IniFormat);
    settings.beginGroup("Key");
    QString KeyValue_= settings.value("KeyValue", "").toString();
    qDebug() << KeyValue_ ;@

but this fails to return the value. All other values of a more traditional form Var = Value. I presume it is something to do with the way QSettings parses this, is there anyway around it?

Also, the ini file starts with a general section.

[General]

The parser returns values from this outside of a beginGroup, but not if I do a setting.beginGroup("General") ?

e.g.

Works
    @QString regCode_ = settings.value("RegistrationCode", "").toString();
    qDebug() << regCode_ ;@

Doesnt' work
    @settings.beginGroup("Database");
    QString regCode_ = settings.value("RegistrationCode", "").toString();
    qDebug() << regCode_ ;
    settings.endGroup();@

Finally, is there a simple way to test for the existence of a particular setting (beyond doing a settings.value, with default value "" and testing for that? The ini file I am parsing may or not have any combination of the following keyvalues.

[Key]
    KeyValue1=7
    KeyValue2=10
    KeyValue3=22
    KeyValueX

• @ QSettings settings(cfgPath, QSettings::IniFormat);
    QString PlayerRanges_ = settings.value("KeyValue", "").toString();
    qDebug() << KeyValue_ ;
    @

In this,what is "KeyValue_" ?

• @ QSettings settings(cfgPath, QSettings::IniFormat);
    QString PlayerRanges_ = settings.value("KeyValue", "").toString();
    qDebug() << KeyValue_ ;
    @

In this,what is "KeyValue_" , that you are trying to debug in line 4 ?

• Updated code (was a typo when simplifying my code to post)....still have the same problem described in OP i.e that keyValue when in the more complex form isn't captured by QSettings.value.

• Hi,

@QString PlayerRanges_ = settings.value("KeyValue", "").toString();
    qDebug() << KeyValue_ ;@

you print out something else ... the conversion to QString just works if string is with quote

@[Key]
    KeyValue="7,10|4,6|3,3|2,2|"@

bq. The parser returns values from this outside of a beginGroup, but not if I do a setting.beginGroup(“General”) ?

is silly but I ask: you sure update and read the right .ini file? :) ... beginGroup should just work nicely :)

• I don't have control of the ini file / not my ini to go changing (it is a 3rd party app)...so I can't put 7,10|4,6|3,3|2,2| in quotes.

bq. is silly but I ask: you sure update and read the right .ini file? :) … beginGroup should just work nicely :)

Yes, as all the other info is being parsed correctly.

• try toStringList() which split the input value by comma ... then concatenate them or what you'd need

@QStringList KeyValue = settings.value("KeyValue", "").toStringList();@

1. This is why you should just cut & paste the working code instead of trying to write code on the fly in the comment box.

2. settings.value() is returning a QStringList. You can probably use join() to get the original value.

I found this out by writing this code:
    QVariant x = settings.value("KeyValue", "");
    and inspecting x in a debugger.