QML bindings and scope

• Hi all,

So I'm thoroughly confused about how scope works in qml. Here's a little test:

import QtQuick 2.0

Rectangle {
    width: 640/2
    height: 1136/2

Item {
    width: parent.width
    height: parent.height

Image {
    id: viewDummy
    anchors.fill: parent
    source: "viewDummy.png"

ListModel {
    id: comments
    ListElement {
    modelData: "comment 1a"
    ListElement {
    modelData: "comment 1b"

ListView {
    anchors.fill: parent

model: viewDummy.comments

delegate: Rectangle {
    height: 25
    width: 100
    Text { text: modelData }

The above does not display the contents of the model "comment 1a" and "comment 1b". However, if I change "viewDummy.comments" to just "comments" they are displayed..

I would expect the reverse to be true... why can the ListView "see" the ListModel that's wrapped in the Image "viewDummy"? Does the nesting not affect scope?

Thanks for any advice!

• Moderators

Within a single QML file, ids are just that: IDs. You don't need to specify the "parent" ID, they are sort of global (but, again: only within this QML file).

By specifying parent.something, you can refer to properties of that parent, like parent.width.

• IDs are global within a file?! That's a good one to have straight... thanks!

• Hi,

Actually, ids are unique within a component scope. In most cases, this means "within a file" (since a QML document is a QML type definition which can be instantiated via a component, and thus a given instantiation of the type has its own component scope), but there are some subtleties.

See http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-stable/qtqml-syntax-objectattributes.html#the-id-attribute and http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-stable/qtqml-documents-scope.html for more information. Delegates are interesting, because they implicitly define a component scope.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.