Change compiler in Qt Creator on Mac OS X

• I want to switch to the latest version of gcc and use it in Qt Creator.

• I followed the standard online installation of Qt 5.1.1 for Mac (installed in /Applications/Qt)
    • Latest version of gcc has been installed using "Fink":http://fink.thetis.ig42.org (gcc 4.8.1)
    • In Qt Creator, I added a new Kit, pointing to the new compiler (located in /sw/bin/gcc-4) and the installed Qt version (Qt 5.1.1 clang 64bit).

Everything looks good config-wise but when I want to compile my project, Qt Creator uses another compiler instead of the specified one:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/g++

which corresponds to the one shipped with Xcode (llvm-g++-4.2)

Did I miss something?

• Does your project use the new kit?

Just out of curiosity: why don't you want the clang compiler?

• Moderators

You are either not using the right kit, or maybe you need to modify the mkspecs for Qt.

• Yes, I switched to the new kit before building the project. The compile output is different from the one generated by the clang-based kit but I still don't understand why the new kit doesn't use /sw/bin/gcc-4.

• compile output with clang based kit:

@/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/bin/uic /Users/sylvain/Documents/Work/Dev/Qt\ projects/UITest1/mainwindow.ui -o ui_mainwindow.h
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++ -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -Wall -W -fPIE -DQT_QML_DEBUG -DQT_DECLARATIVE_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/mkspecs/macx-clang -I/Users/sylvain/Documents/Work/Dev/Qt\ projects/UITest1 -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include/QtWidgets -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/Headers -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include/QtGui -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/Headers -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include/QtCore -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/Headers -I. -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Headers -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Headers -I. -I. -F/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib -o main.o /Users/sylvain/Documents/Work/Dev/Qt\ projects/UITest1/main.cpp@

• compile output for gcc-4 based kit:

@/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/bin/uic /Users/sylvain/Documents/Work/Dev/Qt\ projects/UITest1/mainwindow.ui -o ui_mainwindow.h
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/g++ -c -pipe -g -gdwarf-2 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -Wall -W -fPIE -DQT_QML_DEBUG -DQT_DECLARATIVE_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I/Users/sylvain/Documents/Work/Dev/Qt\ projects/UITest1 -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include/QtWidgets -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/Headers -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include/QtGui -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/Headers -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/include/QtCore -I/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/Headers -I. -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Headers -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Headers -I. -I. -F/Applications/Qt/5.1.1/clang_64/lib -o main.o /Users/sylvain/Documents/Work/Dev/Qt\ projects/UITest1/main.cpp@

How do I modify the mkspecs for Qt?

• Moderators

Qt has a folder named "mkspecs" somewhere, you go there and look for a toolkit similar to yours (like macx-g++), copy it, then open the files inside (they are simple Makefiles) and update the commands to point to the compiler you want to use.

I am compiling Qt myself, so this is all easy, I don't know where does the binary installer put that directory.

• Thanks sierdzio. I've located mkspecs folder, which is in /Applications/Qt/clang_64.

This is where I'm getting confused about the role of these subfolders. I though specifying the compiler in the Qt build & run tab was enough to tell Qt how to build the project. How these mkspecs files are used in the build process?

I guess in my case, Qt is switching to the 'unsupported' config, as the one associated with my new toolchain is not present, isn't it?

• Moderators

Normally, Qt Creator should override the default setup and use whatever you have specified in your Kits. Since you are suing a custom compiler, however, I think it might be causing problems. I don't really know, though. It should work.

mkspecs are normally used when building from command line.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.