Using QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName both ways

• Hi,

I have both a C++ class (derived from QObject) and a QQuickItem, which represents a QML file.
    Both have slots and signals which need to be interconnected.
    Doing this manually (using QObject::connect) works fine.

I'd like to use QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName for this, for several reasons, most of all convenience.
    Both objects have a different objectName set.

@void Backend::doStuff(QQuickItem* item)
    {
    item->setParent(this); // crucial
    QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName(this);
    }
    @

This will connect all signals from the QQuickItem to the relevant slots in the Backend object.
    For example if the QML file has a signal called test(), it will automatically connect to Backend::on_Frontend_test() (given that the QQuickItem has the objectName FrontEnd)

Thing is, it needs to happen the other way around too - I'd like to have every signal from Backend connected to the Frontend slots the same way.

I've created a signal in the Backend class (let's call it whatever()) and implemented a function called
    on_Backend_whatever() in the qml file, but this function is not called when the signal is emitted.

I'm guessing the parent>child relationship is the problem here and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Just for laughs, I've tried

@void Backend::doStuff(QQuickItem* item)
    {
    this->setParent(item);
    QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName(item);
    item->setParent(this); // crucial
    QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName(this);
    }
    @

This compiles, but makes my application crash when the method is called.

So how to do it?

Regards

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.