[Solved] Nesting QtObject in QtQuick

• Hi,

I was looking at http://qt-project.org/wiki/QmlStyling and got an idea to nest "QtObjects":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick/qml-qtquick2-item.html so that I could do something like this:

@// Style.qml
    QtObject {
    property alias text: text
    property alias window: window

QtObject{
          id: text
          property color normal: "black"
          property color disabled: "gray"
    }

QtObject{
          id: window
          property color background: "white"
    }

}

// root component
    Rectangle {
    Style { id: style }
    }

// in use
    Text {
    color: style.text.normal
    text: "Hello World"
    }@

But it turns out that QtObject does not have any children property and thus can't be nested this way. On the other hand you might say, use "Item":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick/qml-qtquick2-item.html instead. But Item is more for visual object and I want a lightweight module like QtObject.

So my question; is there any other QtQuick modules I could use? Or do I have to make my own? Perhaps there is a neat trick to do this?

Solution:
    [quote author="Tomma" date="1372162774"]You can fix that by using those QtObjects as properties without aliasing.
    [/quote]

@QtObject {
    property QtObject text: QtObject{
    }
    property QtObject window: QtObject{
    }
    }@

• Moderators

-That would not work anyway because internal objects of a file you are including are not exposed to the user ("window" and "text" objects are not visible to QML code in your root component or in use).-

EDIT: sorry I've obviously misread your post ;) I somehow missed the "alias" part.

• [quote author="sierdzio" date="1372161354"]I somehow missed the "alias" part.[/quote]

The alias works like a charm. I can change all the root objects to be Item instead of QtObject, but then I will get a conflict if I have property names like width or height etc. And those are names I might use.

• Moderators

What you could do instead is to leverage JSON (quite easy and should work) or attached properties (hardcore, haven't done this myself).
    @
    QtObject {
    property variant text: { "normal": "black", "disabled": "gray" }
    // In QtQuick 2.0, better use 'var' instead of 'variant'
    }

// use it!
    Text {
    color: style.text.normal
    text: "Hello World"
    }
    @

• You can fix that by using those QtObjects as properties without aliasing.
    @QtObject {
    property QtObject text: QtObject{
    }
    property QtObject window: QtObject{
    }
    }@

• @sierdzio: Thanks, I was trying that as well, but then I had to parse int values and did not get the color helper from Qt Crator when using colors. I might have done something wrong, but I felt it was not the most correct way of doing things.

@Tomma: That actually solves my problem! Thanks! I knew there was a simple solution!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.