Qt World Summit: Submit your Presentation

What does the documentation mean when they said Return key ?

  • I'm reading signals in QLineEdit.
    I don't understand the part when they said "Return".
    Here is the extract:
    " This signal is emitted when the Return or Enter key is pressed "
    After searching, my conclusion is that return key is the same as enter key.
    But as it was not said explicitely and clearly, i'm not sure.
    Thanks in advance for any help or explanation about that.

  • The Enter key was called Return a long time ago, I had an apple 2 clone with a return key in 86, I guess some people still use return instead of enter, especially long time computer geeks like programmers.

  • The return key is the big key on the right side of your main keyboard area, the one that is used to indicate a new paragraph in your word processor.

    The enter key is the key labled "Enter" in the numeric keypad area.

  • Moderators

    Actually on some mac keyboards enter and return are two different keys. Return is the usual suspect while Enter is the key in the numeric section: "mac keyboard":http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-english-usa
    "Wikipedia":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_key#Differences_between_Enter_and_Return also states that they have different key codes, but I have no mac to confirm this.

    Edit: Tobias was faster :)

  • I never noticed this, always assumed the num pad keyboard just duplicates keys from the "main" keyboard, which is centrally the case with the number keys, but the "main" and num pad enter do seem to even return different key values. Not on a mac.

  • Thanks all, i have now a global/well understanding about the Retun-Enter stuff. I will keep in mind that Enter is the one located in the numeric area, and the Return is the one located in the main keyboard as you said. And they appears to have their proper keycode.

Log in to reply