I cannot enable ICU library support with Qt-5.0.2

• I've been trying to build Qt-5.0.2 with qtwebkit enabled. Webkit needs ICU library support, so I've installed the latest version of ICU in /usr/local.
    However, the qtbase/configure script won't recognize it. It says "The ICU library support cannot be enabled." when the -icu swith is turned on. By the default, the configure script doesn't turn on the support.

I set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly at the configuration.

How can I build the Qt-5.0.2 with the ICU support enabled and build atwebkit?

Regards,

• Sorry, I forgot to mention my environment.

I'm using Vine Linux 6.1 (a RedHat Linux based Japanese distribution).
    The kernel is 3.0.71.
    I've installed glib-2.34.2, gtk+-3.6.4 and other required package in /usr/local.

In addition to that, I've succeed to build Qt-5.1.0 from the git repository with qtwebkit. However, the WebKit doesn't seem to work correctly because Sigil-0.7.2 built with the Qt-5 won't boot.

• Moderators

The configure test for icu is in qtbase/config.tests/unix/icu , and tries to link against icuuc, icui18n. Try to compile it to see why it fails. Also, you can see the output of all configure tests by running configure with '-v'.

• g++ icu.cpp returns the following:
    /tmp/ccnrkiVm.o: In function main': icu.cpp:(.text+0x34): undefined reference toucol_open_51'
    icu.cpp:(.text+0x5e): undefined reference to `ucol_close_51'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

./configure -v also returns the similar message:
    ICU auto-detection... ()
    g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -fPIE -I../../../mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -o icu.o icu.cpp
    g++ -m64 -Wl,-O1 -o icu icu.o -licuuc -licui18n
    icu.o: In function main': icu.cpp:(.text+0x19): undefined reference toucol_open_51'
    icu.cpp:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `ucol_close_51'
    gmake: *** [icu] Error 1
    ICU disabled.
    The ICU library support cannot be enabled.

• Moderators

so ... it looks like either your icu installation is broken, or it picks up the system ICU . Try to pass the location of the header/libraries via -L, -I, e.g.

configure -L /usr/local/icu/lib -I /usr/local/icu/include

• I checke the locations of ICU library and headers then tried:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib64:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib64:/usr/lib ./configure -v -L /usr/local/lib64/icu -I /usr/local/include/unicode -prefix /usr/local/Qt-5.0.2 -developer-build -opensource -icu

However, configure gave back the same message as the following:

ICU auto-detection... ()
    g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -fPIE -I../../../mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/local/include/unicode -o icu.o icu.cpp
    g++ -m64 -Wl,-O1 -o icu icu.o -L/usr/local/lib64/icu -licuuc -licui18n
    icu.o: In function main': icu.cpp:(.text+0x19): undefined reference toucol_open_51'
    ICU disabled.

Then I tried to find the header files including ucol_open_51 and ucol_close_51 by:
    grep -E "ucol_open_51|ucol_close_51" /usr/local/include/unicode/*

No header files were found.

On the other hand,
    grep -E "ucol_open|ucol_close" /usr/local/include/unicode/*
    found many headere files including ucol_open or ucol_close.

I wonder if icu.cpp tries to find wrong functions, ucol_open_51 and ucol_close_51.

Regards,

• Moderators

Just have a look at config.tests/unix/icu/icu.cpp . It #include's <unicode/utypes.h> . That is, it tries to resolve ucol_open_51 is because it actually picks up the system header from /usr/unicode/utypes.h, which do a #define ucol_open ucol_open_51 . So, you're linking against the right libraries, but not compiling with the right headers.

What you should do is adding '/usr/local/include' to the search path, instead of '/usr/local/include/unicode'.

• PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib64:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib64:/usr/lib ./configure -v -I /usr/local/include -prefix /usr/local/Qt-5.0.2 -developer-build -opensource -icu

gave back a same message:

ICU auto-detection... ()
    g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -fPIE -I../../../mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/local/include -o icu.o icu.cpp
    g++ -m64 -Wl,-O1 -o icu icu.o -licuuc -licui18n
    ICU disabled.

• Moderators

Please specify '-L /usr/local/lib64' to configure.

• Thank you.
    The configuration has successfully ended.

• I ran into a similar problem while compiling qt-5.0.2 for linux-x86; however, reconfigure with "-L <path to icu lib>" did not help much. qt-5.0.2 was still wanting to use the icu includes from the source code folders; ie wtf/icu, javascriptcore/icu. I renamed those include folders to icu.bak and used the -L configure option and everything worked.

I also found some other bugs in the build system, for example if you have xlib or libxrender installed on non-standard path; the build system would have problems linking with such libraries. Below is a patch I made to fix the issue by reverting to pkg-config, instead of assuming xlib and xrender are installed in standard paths.

I also have about 5 more patches; not sure where/who to summit the patches to. thanks

@
    --- qtbase/configure.vanilla 2013-06-14 11:01:56.000000000 -0400
    +++ qtbase/configure 2013-06-14 14:15:18.000000000 -0400
    -4775,14 +4775,18
    QMakeVar add DEFINES QT_NO_EVDEV
    fi

+QMAKE_LIBS_XLIB=$PKG_CONFIG --libs --cflags x11 2>/dev/null

Check we actually have X11 :-)

-if compileTest x11/xlib "XLib"; then
    +if compileTest x11/xlib "XLib" $QMAKE_LIBS_XLIB ; then
    QT_CONFIG="$QT_CONFIG xlib"
    fi

+QMAKE_LIBS_XRENDER=$PKG_CONFIG --libs --cflags x11 2>/dev/null

auto-detect Xrender support

if [ "$CFG_XRENDER" != "no" ]; then

• if compileTest x11/xrender "Xrender"; then
    • if compileTest x11/xrender "Xrender" $QMAKE_LIBS_XRENDER; then
      CFG_XRENDER=yes
      QT_CONFIG="$QT_CONFIG xrender"
      else
      -4839,7 +4843,7

# auto-detect XInput2 support. Needed by xcb too.
      if [ "$CFG_XINPUT2" != "no" ]; then

•        if compileTest x11/xinput2 "XInput2"; then

•        if compileTest x11/xinput2 "XInput2" $QMAKE_LIBS_XLIB; then
                 CFG_XINPUT2=yes
                 CFG_XINPUT=no
             else

@

• Moderators

Hi tpham3783, great that you've created patches! However, for legal reasons they cannot be imported into 'official' Qt unless you submit them to codereview.qt-project.org, and accept the license there:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-Contribution-Guidelines

The process might look a bit intimidating, but in reality it should really be a 10 minute affair (I think someone even created a video on youtube, but I can't find it right now ...)

Looks like your patches should go into qtbase, stable branch.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.