Dependencies question with Qt 4.8.4

• Hi All

I have been trying to install 4.8.4 on my recently fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and struggling..a lot. After I download the qt-everywhere-opensource-4.8.4 and running even the simplest version of configure (i.e. ./configure), I get the following error:

• Basic XLib functionality test failed!
      You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
      QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/doug/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.4/mkspecs/linux-g++-64

I tried to install all of the dependencies listed "here": and every one had a dependency error

So I started with libxent-dev->wich requires* libx11-dev*->requires libxcb1-dev-> requires libxau-dev & libxdmcp-dev

When I try to install libxcb1-dev from software center it gives me the following error:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libxcb1-dev: Depends: libxcb1 (= 1.8.1-1) but 1.8.1-1ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
    Depends: libxau-dev (>= 1:1.0.0-1) but 1:1.0.6-4 is to be installed
    Depends: libxdmcp-dev (>= 1:1.0.0-1) but 1:1.1.0-4 is to be installed

Why is libxcb1-dev requiring older dev packages then the ones installed on my system and how do I fix these dependencies to move forward with the ./configure so I can make && make install?

• Moderators

sudo apt-get build-dep qt4-qmake
    sudo apt-get install libxext-dev

If it still does not work, edit QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 to point to /usr/inc/X11 nd /usr/lib/X11 respectively.

• I have a question, how do you find this out:

[quote author="sierdzio" date="1366529207"]@
    sudo apt-get build-dep qt4-qmake
    sudo apt-get install libxext-dev

What I mean by that is, other than Googling yourself to death, how did you figure out you needed to get build-dep qt4-qmake and libxext-dev?

• Moderators

Uncle Google, of course. I did run into that problem once, I think only adjusting the QMAKE_* stuff helped.

build-dep is a standard way of getting dependencies, a very handy tool to know about in general (on Debian distros, of course).

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.