[Solved] How can I change the shape of a widget?

• I want to create a QLabel with a triangle border (like the left border in this http://www.tuangou.com.br/images/etiqueta.png ). But I need help. I don't know how to start. Is it posible to do it with a CSS?
    Sorry if don't post a code, it's because I'm new in QT so I have no idea.

I'm using QT4.8. Any Python or C++ example can help.

Thank you in advance and excuse my english. Greetings!

• Inherit QLabel class to your own custom LabeledLabel and reimplement QWidget::paintEvent... in that method you can draw that backgroud and rotate also the text.

@
    #include <QLabel>
    #include <QPainter>

class LabeledLabel : public QLabel
    {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    LabeledLabel(...);

protected:
    void paintEvent(QPaintEvent*)
    {
    QPainter p(this);
    // draw...
    }
    };
    @

• And you should use QWidget::setMask()
    Have a look at the Shaped Clock Example...

• Moderators

There are more easy ways and more complex ways to achieve what you want.

• If your label should have a fixed size you can just set the background via stylesheet with a image file
    • with the custom paint method your free to do anything you like buts it's way more work involved, which may be a problem as newbie for you?

Setting a mask only makes sense if it should be a top-level widget and only if you need to ignore input events on the masked area. Using of masks never leads to a nice result visual IMHO unless you just use straight edges (since it's a bitmap -> no antialiasing).

• Using a mask can result in quite nice looking widgets, even if they don't have striaght edges... it is not easy though...
    But you are right: it only makes sense for top-level widgets.

• Thanks to Peppy, Mr. Universe and raven-worx.

I'm subclassing QLabel. Each instance can take different sizes, so I can't use an image file. Either with setting a mask because is not a top-level widget, so the best option will be using the paintEvent.

I don't want to abuse, so first I will read some tutorials about this and try to do it by myself.

Thank you again!

• Widgets are always rectangular, you cannot get away from this, but you could go for drawing something different within the bounds of that rectangle and create the illusion of a different shape.

If you want different sizes - use a vector image, e.g. a SVG, it scales without resolution loss.

• Thanks utcenter! I will read about vector images.

Well, I did it with the paintEvent, but I need help for some details.
    This is the code. finallly I subclass from QWidget

[code]
    class MyWidget(QWidget):
    def init(self):
    super(MyWidget, self).init( )

def paintEvent(self, event):
        painter = QPainter(self)
        painter.setRenderHint(painter.Antialiasing)
        painter.setPen(QPen( QBrush("#000"), 1 ))
        painter.setBrush( QBrush(QColor("#000")) )
        point1 = QPoint(0,0)
        point2 = QPoint(80, 0)
        point3 = QPoint(92, 10)
        point4 = QPoint(80, 20)
        point5= QPoint(0,20)
        poly = QPolygon((point1, point2, point3, point4, point5))
        painter.drawPolygon(poly)

[/code]

The thing is that the widget will be used into a QTableWidget as a cellWidget. The cells will take differents spans, so the widget size could adapt to the cell span, like any other widget. And this is my question:
    ¿How other widgets change the size depending on the container size? or ¿Is the container (in this case the QTableWidget) who handles the widget size?

In the paintEvent I want to get the size of the spanned cell and calculate the widget size. Also, I can override the setSpan function of the QTableWidget and set the widget width. But I want to know wich is the best practice.

Thank you and excuse my english!

• Maybe was obvius... with the resizeEvent, using QResizeEvent.size() and QResizeEvent.oldSize()

Thanks for all!

Greetings

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.