QTableWidget populating

• Hi guys,

Back with another problem I'm afraid! I'm having terrible trouble filling a row in a QTableWidget.

The idea is simply that I load a file using the QFileDialog class which dumps its data into a QStringList. From here I need to get this data into the QTableWidget by creating a new row, then filling 4 seperate columns with data.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Andrew

• Oh! Never mind solved it myself! Thanks Anways :-D

• You should build a model inherited from QAbstractTableModel and set it as a basemodel for the QTableWidget.

• If you use models, you should use QTabelView, not QTableWidget. And from my point of view, the model-view approach is much better than the QTableWidget approach.

• AFAIK QTableWidget inherits QTableView

• [quote author="VCsala" date="1292523877"]AFAIK QTableWidget inherits QTableView[/quote]

Indeed it does. You can consider the QWidget classes to be exactly like the QView classes, but with a builtin model (which closely resembles QStandardItemModel) and helper classes to manage this models (the QWidgetItem classes). Using a custom model with the QWidget classes is pointless, since you won't be able to use their helper classes to manage the model.

[quote author="VCsala" date="1292521276"]You should build a model inherited from QAbstractTableModel and set it as a basemodel for the QTableWidget.[/quote]

s/QTableWidget/QTableView/, see above.

• Guys, you win :) Anyhow, thanks for the correction, I am still have a lot to learn.

• But the *widget classes with their helpers and standard models are for the general purpos and therefore not optimized. So, in fact, if you have a growing app, it might happen, that you need more code in the end then with a custom model / view approach.

• The decision is not so easy. We use both the QxxWidgets and the QxxViews in our code. Sometimes it's more convenient to have a QxxWidgetItem subclass to add the functionality, especially if you only want to add a small improvement and are satisfied with the standard implementation for the rest. Although I must admit that we generally do not have big amounts of data in the Widgets, so speed and space optimization is not a big issue for us.

• Ok, so there's a big difference, we normally have much data or possibly much data, as we visualize industry values....

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.