Update GUI from another object with 2 threads.

• Hi, all:

I've got a class which has a producer thread and a consumer thread. I would like the producer thread keeps producing the image data, and whenever the consumer thread is consuming the image data from the shared buffer, a signal will be sent out to the MainWindow GUI, for the purpose of redraw the image on GUI --- this signal/slot is of Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection for sure.

However, I've got no idea why this doesn't work for me now (no image has ever been drawn on the MainWindow GUI). I guess it's probably because, the signal sent out to the MainWindow GUI is embedded inside the critical section -- the consumer thread lock the critical shared buffer using a mutex, and I sent out the signal from within this locked mutex section to the MainWindow GUI. Is this problematic? And is there a way out for my issue?

Cheers
    Pei

• I know attached my code at "http://visionopen.com/questions/QtThreadExample.tar.gz":http://visionopen.com/questions/QtThreadExample.tar.gz . Can anybody help to explain what's wrong with my code? I do need your help please

Cheers
    Pei

• Moderators

I'm not sure if this is part of your issue, but you're pushing and popping the same value from your buffer over and over again: m_iIdx never changes.

Anyway, I notice you're using Boost threads with lots of sleep() and wait(). I'm not very familiar with this approach so I can't debug your thread logic, sorry.

How big are your items, and how fast do you produce/consume them? If the items are small (or if they get consumed slowly), I suggest trying event-driven programming with Qt:

Every time a consumer consumes an item, emit a consumed() signal

When the producer receives the consumed() signal, produce a new item. Emit the item using a produced(item) signal.

When the consumer receives the produced() signal, consume the item (go back to #1)

This method is cleaner, you don't have to worry about deadlocks, and you can even implement the producer-consumer pattern using only 1 thread.

• Hi, thanks JKSH.
    I solved that problem by removing the join().
    Consumer join() and producer join() blocks the main thread, namely MainWindow GUI.

Thanks anyway.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.