How can I debug an application?

• Hello!
    When I try debug any application Qt Creator show me an error message saying: "No debugger set up". How can I resolve this problem? Thanks

• Moderators

Does debugging work for GUI apps? What platform are you coding on? Is gdb installed?

Try toggling "Run in terminal" checkbox in your project's "Run" settings.

• Hello,

On the QtCreator bottom left corner, click on the screen and select a debug build. Then just build and start debugging (make sure you specified a debug and release configurations when the project was configured). If you want to debug as @sierdzio says, look for gdb manual pages if you are new to this issue.

Good luck!

• Moderators

Did you try to set up a debugger in tools>options>Build & run>Kits ?

• Following this path, my kit is Desktop Qt 5.0.0 MSVC2010 32bits (SDK) but in Debugger says CDB Engine <None> that's why I can't debug any application. How can I set up a debugger?
    [quote author="Tobias Hunger" date="1356604689"]Did you try to set up a debugger in tools>options>Build & run>Kits ?[/quote]

• Download and install an windows SDK, you can choose just install the debugger.

• GDB is not installed. I'm using Qt for Windows.
    [quote author="sierdzio" date="1356555073"]Does debugging work for GUI apps? What platform are you coding on? Is gdb installed?

Try toggling "Run in terminal" checkbox in your project's "Run" settings.[/quote]

• I've got CDB.exe from a Windows SDK, but Creator 2.61 doesn't detect it and doesn't let me edit or delete the auto-detected kit. So I configure a kit manually and try to remember not to use the one with no debugger.

• I too facing issue with debugging Qt on Windows. Let me tell you workaround [probably this may not fix your problem, but can be alternative to debug your application]:
    Note: This is valid only if you are compiling Qt application with MSVC2008 (Qt SDK) or MSVC2010 (Qt SDK) in your Qt Creator[i.e basically if you are compiling with nmake]

1. Successfully build your application with Qt creator
    2. Open "Visual Studio Command Prompt (2008)" or "Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)" from start menu > All Programs > Microsoft Visual Studio 20xx > Visual Studio Tools
    3. Navigate to location where your exe is built, for example cd c:\MyApp\debug\ in command prompt.
    4. run command
      devenv MyApp.exe
      This should open Visual Studio 20xx solution explorer
    5. Now in Visual Studio 20xx go to File > Open ; and open all your source files (*.cpp and .h files for MyApp)
    6. Keep break-points where ever you wish and press F5.
      You must be able to debug your application now on Visual Studio environment.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.