Youtube API in Qt

• Hello again :)

Anyone know how can I use the Youtube API and create a somewhat custom search in a widget? Something similar to the android youtube search... I do not want to add the whole page in a QWebView(that is easy) because I need the search to be rather small... Something like 300x300 px... Maybe scalable but the minimum width something like that.. I got the query results in a XML format but I don't know what to do from there on...

Thank you in advance.

Qt 4.8.4 (or 5.0)
    Windows 7

• Use the youtube API's https://developers.google.com/youtube/getting_started#data_api

You will need to write your own Qt-wrapper for these but should not be particularly difficult. Qt provides all the building blocks that you need.

• thank you. my problem wasn't with the youtube api... it was with writting the wrapper though :)

• Ah, sorry I misunderstood. QNetworkAccessManager is your friend in this case. Wrap this up in your own class and add member functions that map onto requests using the youtube API.

Or do you have a more specific problem with doing this type of thing?

• The problem i'm having is constructing a custom widget in which to display the results of the query I get from youtube API. it's more of a XML problem now that I think of it... Not so much in the API. I'm not certain on how to reconstruct parts of the XML in my custom widget :) I think I should use the QDeclarativeView class (not certain) to add the XML. Am I even close to the solution? :D

• OK I see what you are getting at now. What I would suggest is something along these lines:

Construct a class that issues the API calls to youtube

When the data is returned to you process the XML (I assume it is xml from what you said) using QXmlStreamReader.

Create a class that inherits from QAbstractListModel. Populate this list with items from contained in your xml (i.e. search results).

If you are using QML (which sounds like it will be a good fit in this case), create a QML document that contains a ListView element along with a custom delegate element (this gets created for each item in your list model).

From C++ expose your list model of results to QML using QDeclarativeContext::setContextProperty()

In QML set the "model" property of your list to the id of your exported model.

That is the basic setup. Of course you can go further by having a TextInput QML element to control what to search for on youtube etc.

Take a look at some of the QML examples with custom C++ list models that ships with Qt.

Please feel free to come back with specific questions on the above steps.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.