Installation and GDB setup

• Hi,

I just started with Qt and had some trouble with installation and now can't get GDB to work.
    Here is what I did:
    Many forum threads talk about an SDK that will install everything from one package. I couldn't find such on the current download page. So I chose the latest Qt library file (4.8.4 for win and mingw). Unfortunatetly this doesn't work with the latest package from mingw (GCC 4.7.2) so I had to look for a MinGW with GCC 4.4.0 version. Also Qt installer does not include Qt creator, so I installed Qt creator 2.6. With that I built the Qt creator widget based application (Textfinder). This compiles and runs but there is no button signal or the signal is not reaching the slot. When trying to debug I found that GDB does not work. The error message says gdb process is not responding. Searching for gdb setup information I found that Qt creator 2.6 needs at least GDB 7.4 but the MinGW GCC 4.4.0 has only 6.8. Also GDB 7.4 is said to use Python. Does that mean I have to install Python? If yes, which version? How can I get a gdb > 7.4 in my MinGW GCC4.4.0 without mixing up dlls? I don't even know which package uses what. Or can I make Qt creator use a gdb installed somewher else? I couldn't find any settings for that. What other steps are needed to get GDB running?

Thank you for any help

Martin

• Moderators

There is a gdb for windows we build ourselves "here":http://builds.qt-project.org/ actually there is even a mingw build there.

Creator will happily use a gdb that is unrelated to your mingw setup. Go to Tools>Options>Build & Run>Kits and point Creator to the gdb you want to run. The setup is explained in the manual by the way... it is really good, go read it:-)

I hope we will get a new SDK again now that Qt 5 is out. Qt 5 already contains Qt and Qt Creator, so it is "only" a matter of making a mingw-based version and bundling the compiler and debugger into it. And to fix it up to be an online installer, too, to reenable upgrades.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.