Is it possible to have a visible QGraphicsItem with no location?

• With QGraphicsScene, is there any way to have items in the scene which will not be returned by items(QPoint) and still visible in the scene?

• [quote author="Bradley" date="1291827845"]Is it possible to have a visible QGraphicsItem with no location?[/quote]

items belonging to a scene and which are visible, will have a location i.e. a geometry

[quote author="Bradley" date="1291827845"]With QGraphicsScene, is there any way to have items in the scene which will not be returned by items(QPoint) and still visible in the scene?[/quote]

you are interested in the items(QPoint) call, so you can probably check the different options available for Qt::ItemSelectionMode and see if something suits you
    items that are not located at this point, are of course still visible and will not be returned with items(QPoint) call ...

• Why do you want to do this? Perhaps there's a different way to accomplish it.

• I have a QGraphicsView which does certain actions based the items in the scene (for example re-framing the view to center and zoom on certain items). However, the scene also contains heads-up-display (HUD) items which must be ignored. Currently I'm filtering the HUD items when re-framing. I'm wondering if there is a more creative solution.

• [quote author="chetankjain" date="1291830853"]you are interested in the items(QPoint) call, so you can probably check the different options available for Qt::ItemSelectionMode and see if something suits you
    items that are not located at this point, are of course still visible and will not be returned with items(QPoint) call ...
    [/quote]

I don't see an Qt::ItemSelectionMode that would apply, since I want to create an special item that would not be selected even though some other regular item at the same location would be.

• [quote author="Bradley" date="1291836670"]
    I don't see an Qt::ItemSelectionMode that would apply, since I want to create an special item that would not be selected even though some other regular item at the same location would be.
    [/quote]

ah ok, in that case I think you have to extend QGraphicsScene, reimplement items() to do what you want

• Not necessarily; see also "this message":http://lists.trolltech.com/pipermail/qt-interest/2010-March/020837.html from the mailing list.

• A transparent overlay widget would then mean the items are not in the scene. I guess reimplementing items() or filtering the results from items() is all I can do.

• Hm. I think I'm missing something; why do they need to be in the same scene?

• The some interaction with other items in the scene.

• I suspect you're right then, and those are your best options. A fast way to do the filtering (however it's done) might be to check QGraphicsItem::type() - or better (if you can), make all the HUD objects children of a single item and set QGraphicsItem::ItemHasNoContents on that parent item. That way (I think) you'd only have one QGraphicsItem to check.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.