Running a new project gives "No targets specified and no makefile found"

• Hello,

In Qt Creator (2.6) when I click new project, then "Qt Quick 1 app", Next, Next, Finish I get the new project files. But, when I click Run I get the following error:

19:00:06: Running steps for project untitled...
    19:00:06: Starting: "C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\qmake.exe" C:\Qt\Qt_Projects\untitled\untitled.pro -r -spec default "CONFIG+=release"
    19:00:07: The process "C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\qmake.exe" exited normally.
    19:00:07: Starting: "C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\make.bat"
    mingw32-make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    19:00:07: The process "C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\make.bat" exited with code 2.
    Error while building/deploying project untitled (target: Desktop)

The parent folder looks like this:

1. untitled: main.cpp, untitled.pro.user, qml, untitled64.png, qmlapplicationviewer, untitled80.png, untitled.desktop, untitled_harmattan.desktop, untitled.pro
    2. untitled-build-Desktop-Release: debug, Makefile.Debug, release, Makefile, Makefile.Release

I'm new to Qt, but basically all I do is choose a new project and then click run, why is it not working? Sorry if this has been addressed in an other post, but I couldn't find it. Thank you for any help you may provide.

• Moderators

Oh, that is a interesting one.

What did you do to set up this project? Which compiler are you using? It should use either mingw-make or nmake (or jom) on windows, so I am really interested to find out why creator decided to use make.

You should definitely "file a bug report":http://bugreports.qt-project.org/ about this. Otherwise it might be forgotten about before it is fixed.

• Now that you mentioned it, I remembered my "install process". The Qt setup was made a few weeks ago, so that's why I didn't realized. I have XP, Qt libs 4.8.4 (mingw) and compilers from a previous installation of Dev-Cpp, but I choose the wrong exe in the Kit settings.

So, I tried again using mingw32-make, but this time I get "error: main.cpp: No such file or directory". The file is there and the INCPATH in the Makefile is ok. I noticed an warning in the Kit setup, maybe because my mingw version 3.4.2 (w32api.h version 3.2) is not compatible with Qt 4.8.4. How should I proceed next?

Pretty weird setup I have...Do you know when the SDK for Qt5 will appear? Thank you for your help.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.