Cannot open include file in ui_mainwindow.h

• I am making a project in QT Creator 2.6. I am promoting a QWidget subclass called cPlotter, but when I try to compile the project, it fails because it cannot find the file cplotter.h. I figured out that this is because the file "ui_mainwindow.h" updates automatically including the file cplotter.h within brackets instead of quotes.

So, ui_mainwindow.h updates like:

#include <cplotter.h>

but it should be:

#include "cplotter.h"

So, it is very annoying to edit by hand every time I change something on the GUI.

Anyone knows a solution for this?

Thanks.

• Why do not include it yourself in mainwindow.h which is processed BEFORE ui_mainwindow.h? Anyway ui_mainwindow.h has not to be edited only in a very desperate situation... Sometimes avoiding the graphical designer is a better idea like edit ui_mainwindow.h. Best regards!

• The "ui_mainwindow.h" was designed NOT to be edited by hand since it is generated by designer based from the UI files.

This "thread":http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4907766/promoting-widgets-in-qt-creator may help you in promoting your widgets. AFAIK, you can promote widgets from the designer and not from editing the "ui_*" files.

Edit at your own risk!

• [quote author="AttilaPethe" date="1354485794"]Why do not include it yourself in mainwindow.h which is processed BEFORE ui_mainwindow.h? Anyway ui_mainwindow.h has not to be edited only in a very desperate situation... Sometimes avoiding the graphical designer is a better idea like edit ui_mainwindow.h. Best regards![/quote]

I did what you say, but it does not work, since the line #include <cplotter.h> keeps being generated, so that the compiler does not find the file at that point. Thank you anyway !

• If we read about your problem in n869 specification (google for it as "N869 standard"):

bq. 6.10.2 Source file inclusion

Constraints

[#1] A #include directive shall identify a header or source
    file that can be processed by the implementation.

Semantics

[#2] A preprocessing directive of the form

include <h-char-sequence> new-line

searches a sequence of implementation-defined places for a
    header identified uniquely by the specified sequence between
    the < and > delimiters, and causes the replacement of that
    directive by the entire contents of the header. How the
    places are specified or the header identified is
    implementation-defined.

[#3] A preprocessing directive of the form

include "q-char-sequence" new-line

causes the replacement of that directive by the entire
    contents of the source file identified by the specified
    sequence between the " delimiters. The named source file is
    searched for in an implementation-defined manner. If this
    search is not supported, or if the search fails, the
    directive is reprocessed as if it read

include <h-char-sequence> new-line

with the identical contained sequence (including >
    characters, if any) from the original directive.

To summarize, #include "xyz" directives cause the preprocessor to search
    in an implementation-defined manner for the source file indicated. If
    this fails, it tries again using the search method that it normally uses
    for #include <xyz> directives (which is also implementation-defined).
    Another (sort of) important difference is that #include <xyz> directives
    need not specify an actual source file - the implementation defines how
    it determines what text is used to replace the directive.

So in conclusion you steel can do things in mainwindow.h and even in project.pro files I think...

• [quote author="Code_ReaQtor" date="1354497123"]The "ui_mainwindow.h" was designed NOT to be edited by hand since it is generated by designer based from the UI files.

This "thread":http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4907766/promoting-widgets-in-qt-creator may help you in promoting your widgets. AFAIK, you can promote widgets from the designer and not from editing the "ui_*" files.

Edit at your own risk![/quote]

I followed that Stackoverflow thread, but what they say did not work for me. Also, I know that the file is not intended to be edited by hand, but it is my "solution" in the meantime.

Thanks anyway.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.