Can't remove files or create directories?

• This must just be me being stupid, but if I create a new non-qt C++ project, I can't delete the remove the default main.cpp from the project! The option is greyed out on the right-click menu.

I can add new files ok, but I want to organize them into subfolders (my project will have several targets and I want to keep it neat). How do I create a folder? There's a "create new subproject" option in the right-click menu, but that's greyed out. If I try adding a new file to the project I can use the file dialog to create a folder on the filesystem and put the file in that, but it's not shown in the tree view!

What am I doing wrong? I'm on os x 10.7. I get the same results in creator 2.5 and 2.6

• Moderators

Short answer: you can't.

Simplest way is most likely to just edit the .pro-file and to create the directory manually.

Project view shows the structure of the project files. "Folders" there are not necessarily found in the filesystem. A subproject is just a .pro-file that gets referenced in its parent .pro-file.

• Thanks Tobias! OK that makes sense, but any idea why the create subprojects or remove files?

• Moderators

Whether Creator can add/remove files depends a lot on the build system you use: We can do that on qmake, but for cmake and others that is basically impossible to do correctly. So maybe you are just using the "wrong" build system for those operations.

I don't have enough information to provide a definitive answer, sorry.

• Ah ok that makes sense - creator is using the CMakeLists.txt as a project file as well then? Is there any way of doing a hybrid setup? So I would use qmake .pro files as the project file but actually use cmake for building?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.