Translation issue: use another file for a certain form

• Hello guys,

I am developing a program where at the beginning I should use a translation file. However, I have to change the translation file for a certain class (Game). In other words, I want to separate all gui translations into a file and this game translation in another file.

Steps :
    1- separted the game from the program
    2- build the translation file of the game, translated and made the release.
    3- Problem --->> Translation is not shown. I need help. In the main constructor I placed the following code

@
    QApplication a(argc, argv);

KeyBoardMap *w = new Game();
    QTranslator translator;
    translator.load("ab_ab.qm");
    a.installTranslator(&translator);

@

Is this correct?

I should then merge this game class into the other software, can I load a translation file from a form.cpp and not from main.cpp?

thanks

• does your ab_ab.qm file exist in the same folder where your executable is?

bq. I should then merge this game class into the other software, can I load a translation file from a form.cpp and not from main.cpp?

Sure you can, but be sure to create your QTranslator instance on the heap... and use qApp() instead of a

• Yes the path is correct, here is a simple example where the complete path is removed.

how to use qApp? It does not accept

qApp.installTranslator ?

do you mean the form that loads the game class should be an Application class?

• bq. Yes the path is correct, here is a simple example where the complete path is removed.

Do you actually use QObject::tr() or translate() in your code for strings which needs to be translated?

bq. how to use qApp? It does not accept

@
    qApp->installTranslator
    @

It is only needed if you will load your translation elsewhere when in main function...

• And I have forgot to say:

bq. Note that the translator must be created before the application's widgets.

• Thank you, now it works

@
    QTranslator* translator = new QTranslator;
    translator->load("/.../.../.../abc.qm");
    qApp->installTranslator(translator);
    @

But it works from inside the form. Will this be global, I mean will other forms use the same translation file ? should I load the other translation file again after this form quits?

• It is application global, but you must be sure what QTranslator instance exist till you unload translation or loads another one... Make it global or singleton.

• Please edit your Question and add [Solved] infront of it

Thanks and Regards...

• Hi SherifOmran,

you can use multiple QTranslator instances in one process, that is no problem. Just the translations must be unique. If you use tr() within a QObject, the class name is also part of the search logic, which makes it easier. If you use QObject::translate(...) you add a context as parameter which has the same meaning as the class in a QObject derived class (which is used as context there).

So using multiple qm files for different classes / libraries is no problem. At least, my apps always load 2 (my local one and one for Qt).

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.