[Solved] QGraphicsObject with child groups mousePressEvent not firing

• After lots of googling and testing I am stuck. I have a derived QGraphicsObject that contains a number of QGraphicsGroup's and QGraphicsItem's and for the life of me I am unable to get the mousePressEvent to fire for my object, interestingly enough my objects boundRect() does get called when I click the graphics view.

The constructor of my QGraphicsItem looks something like this:

@
    MyItem::MyItem(QGraphicsItem * parent) : QGraphicsObject(parent)
    {
    setFlags(QGraphicsItem::ItemIsSelectable);
    setHandlesChildEvents(true);

_root = new QGraphicsItemGroup();
    _root->setParentItem(this);

QGraphicsRectItem * item = new QGraphicsRectItem();
    item->setRect(0, 0, 100, 100);
    _root->addToGroup(item);

}
    @

I continue to add many more items but for readability lets assume I just have a rectangle that is 100x100. Next I override the boundRect() function:

@
    QRectF MyItem::boundingRect() const
    {
    return QRectF(-50, -50, 50, 50);
    }
    @

My object is being painted correctly but I simply do not get mouse events. I am using the default QGraphicsScene and QGraphicsView. I have tried all the combinations of setting setHandlesChildEvents on myself and _root, but that does not seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Could you show your declaration of your mouse event handler?

• Definitely!

@
    void MyItem::mousePressEvent(QGraphicsSceneMouseEvent * event)
    {
    if( event->button()==Qt::LeftButton )
    {
    // do something
    }
    }
    @

• Ok, this is strange. I created a test app thinking I would post it here to demonstrate the problem however in my test app it works great so clearly it is something I am doing wrong. I'll post my solution once I find one here.

• Found my problem. I was adding MyItem objects to a group and then adding that group to my scene, turns out if I set setHandlesChildEvents to false on my group then it allows MyItem to get the mouse events as normal.

Hope this is helpful.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.