QScrollArea with QGridLayout

• I currently have a QGridLayout that is used to show a table of data, but I would only like to show around 3x5 cells, and allow for the rest of them to be scrolled to as needed. After reading up on using QScrollArea with QGridLayout, I ended up with this...
    @
    QScrollArea *scrollArea = new QScrollArea();
    QWidget *container = new QWidget(scrollArea);
    QGridLayout *gridEPG = new QGridLayout(container);
    scrollArea->setWidget(container);
    ui->gridLayout->addWidget(w, 1, 0, 1, 3);
    //ui->gridLayout->addLayout(gridEPG, 1, 0, 1, 3);
    @
    It displays fine, but as the scrolling doesn't work. As I add/remove elements from the "gridEPG" layout, it simply shrinks/expands everything to fit. What changes need to be set so that I can actually make it display X by X cells and scroll to the rest?

• You need to apply the layout (QWidget::setLayout()) to the container widget and give it some definite size. It look like you are trying to do a programme guide so you might set the width of container to 24x pixels to give yourself x pixels per hour.

• Hi Chris,

Thank you so much. I realized after you pointed that out that I was also still assigning the container widget to my main form's grid layout. Once I set the layout as you mentioned on my container widget and instead assigned the scroll area to my main form layout (instead of the container) it worked perfectly.

I am still a bit confused on the sizing. As my EPG grid (and scroll area) are part of a larger grid that resize it when the window is resized, I can't set a static size for it. I would however like to set it so no matter what the window is resized to, it always shows the 3 columns and 5 rows, just in different sizes, then scrolling simply slides over by 1 column or 1 row. How would that be done?

• The QScrollArea is resized by the layout you insert it into. The widget inside the QScrollArea has a size independent of the QScrollArea's size. When that size is larger than the viewport you get scroll bars, otherwise you do not.

@
    #include <QtGui>
    #include <QDebug>

class MainWidget: public QWidget {
    Q_OBJECT
    public:
    MainWidget(QWidget *p = 0): QWidget(p) {
    // Fake up a grid to scroll
    QWidget *client = new QWidget(this);
    QGridLayout *gl = new QGridLayout(client);
    for (int row = 0; row < 5; ++row) {
    for (int col = 0; col < 24; ++col) {
    QLabel *l = new QLabel(QString("R%1 C%2").arg(row).arg(col), client);
    l->setFixedSize(100, 40); // makes the whole client widget abut 2400 px wide
    gl->addWidget(l, row, col);
    }
    }
    client->setLayout(gl);

// Put it into a scroll area
        QScrollArea *area = new QScrollArea(this);
        area->setWidget(client);

// Make the scroll step the same width as the fixed widgets in the grid
        area->horizontalScrollBar()->setSingleStep(client->width() / 24);

QVBoxLayout *layout = new QVBoxLayout(this);
        layout->addWidget(new QLabel("Something else", this));
        layout->addWidget(area);

setLayout(layout);
    }

public slots:
    private:
    };

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QApplication app(argc, argv);

MainWidget m;
    m.show();
    return app.exec&#40;&#41;;

}
    #include "main.moc"
    @

• Thanks for the code snippet Chris. I posted my own here http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/20924/ (made a new thread since it was pretty massive) and I am still at a loss. When I made a new project and tried your project it was all jumbled up in the top left corner.

My code snippet and screenshot show the issue I am having, but still just not sure where its wrong. I noticed your code is a little different from mine in terms of how it is ordered, but everything is being done the same way as far as I can tell. I just can't figure out why mine is causing the columns to overlap each other rather than just spreading out and making horizontal scroll bars.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.