[Partially solved] QML Text seems to be horizontally aligned wrong

• I'm trying to make a button with centered text inside, but I have a following problem:
    !http://s15.postimage.org/pnmyox5yv/Screenshot_at_2012_08_17_12_20_56.png(misaligned text)!
    As you can see, the Text element is centered correctly (its dimensions are shown by the black frame), but the real text inside it is painted a bit left. It doesn't depend on font. What should I do to make it centered correctly?
    Code:
    @ Text {
    id: label
    text: toplevel.text
    font.pixelSize: toplevel.height * 0.4
    anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
    anchors.baseline: alignRect.bottom
    }
    Item {
    id: alignRect
    visible: false
    anchors.centerIn: parent
    width: 10
    height: label.font.pixelSize
    }
    Rectangle {
    color: "transparent"
    border.width: 1
    anchors.fill: label
    }@

• Moderators

Try this:
    @
    Text {
    id: label
    text: toplevel.text
    font.pixelSize: toplevel.height * 0.4
    anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
    anchors.baseline: alignRect.bottom

// this:
        width: paintedWidth
        height: paintedHeight
        // and this:
        verticalAlignment: Text.AlignVCenter
        horizontalAlignment: Text.AlignHCenter
    }

@

• Thank you, it helped a bit - now the text is less misaligned!
    !http://s14.postimage.org/dfyjzpwfx/Screenshot_at_2012_08_17_13_47_35.png(new result)!
    But it isn't the ideal result yet :(

• Moderators

Add anchor margins :)

• Yeah, that dirty way should work, but isn't there a clean way to do this and why does this stuff happen?

• Moderators

Glyph painting is a very hard job in general. Ultimately, that is probably a Qt bug, or type bug (glyph definition). You have to remember, that some letters are allowed to go beyond their registered space (take a 'y' for example, in some types, and especially in handwriting, it often even obscures other letters), others are allowed to join, etc.

I had that problem in my code, too, I've added the aligning as above + adjusted the margins by hand. It seems to be working well, even during scaling, and on different operating systems.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.