[Solved] Memory (de)allocation within slots and public functions

• Hi!

I have a form which has some buttons on it. Let's say I press ButtonA which clicked() signal is connected to its on_buttonA_clicked() slot. In this slot some memory is allocated with calloc() then deallocated with free(). Program works fine. But if I call a public member function from here (and I'd like to) called function1() and I put free() into this function, the program becomes unstable, crashes at exit. Clearly the cause of this behaviour is that free() cannot recognize the public variable I'm using. Is there a way to make this bug-free?

Here is a sample class:
    @
    #ifndef WIDGET_H
    #define WIDGET_H

#include <QWidget>

namespace Ui {
    class Widget;
    }

class Widget : public QWidget
    {
    Q_OBJECT

public:
    explicit Widget(QWidget *parent = 0);
    void function1();
    char *pchar; //to allocate a char array on the heap
    ~Widget();

private slots:
    void on_buttonA_clicked();

private:
    Ui::Widget *ui;
    };

#endif // WIDGET_H
    @

• Moderators

I won't go into commentary on your design, except to say that I feel strongly that it's mostly likely a series of poor choices (using calloc rather than new, using character arrays instead of Qt's native container classes, etc.) and should probably be written to be more C++-like rather than C-like.

However, with that briefly said:

Make sure you always initialize your pointers to 0 initially.

If you call free on a pointer, be sure and set it's value to 0. If you try to free memory twice, you'll have a bad time. Calling free() on a null pointer is harmless.

• It seems the problem occurs with a more complex data structure:

@
    struct rek {
    QByteArray ID, Offset;
    unsigned int length;
    bool trans;
    char * string;
    };
    rek * record;

void Widget::function1() {
    QMessageBox::information(this, tr("Ok."), record[0].string);
    }

void Widget::on_buttonA_clicked() {
    rek * record=new rek[20]; //let's assume allocation was successful
    record[0].string=(char *)calloc(1000,sizeof(char)); //detto
    strcpy(record[0].string,"some text...");
    QMessageBox::information(this, tr("Ok."), record[0].string); //"some text..." appear in a messagebox
    function1(); //empty string or garbage appear in a messagebox - data structure unavailable, trying to free() it causes crash
    }
    @

I'm not sure what would be more C++ like code, so if you could tell me I would be thankful. On the other hand I have to handle non-latin characters which are not stored in Unicode format so it seemed appropriate to stick to the old character arrays and string functions to prevent data loss.

• Moderators

You're redeclaring @rek *record@ in line 14, which is masking the declaration at line 7.

• Thank you very much. Now I can use the debugger again. It couldn't handle this line, but it didn't tell me what the problem was either.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.