Multiple directories in QML project

• Hello qt devs.I am kinda new to this, but I really like QML so I decided to use Qt and QML for my next project.
    I plan on making a complex and relatively big application using QML and C++ (if neccessary)
    I plan it to run on Linux, Mac and Windows and also eventually Android (when QT neccessitas gets more stable).
    There will be a directory called widgets where I will have my widgets .qml file (more files , Button.qml,TextInput.qml...)
    There will be a directory called dialogs,src...
    Now onto my problem. I have not really done much stuff really, this post is just a way to stop bashing qml and qt later when things go wrong and there is a lot of code :D
    Here is the info I need :
    in a .qml source file
    import "src/code.js" as SomeNamespace
    How will that behave on windows where paths are escaped using \ ?
    Then if I have widgets/Button.qml
    how can I import that into my dialogs/SomeDialog.qml
    Will import "widgets/Button.qml" as Button work
    and will it work on windows.
    BTW - How to add new directories in Qt Creator?
    That's all that comes to my mind now.Thanks for helping.

• Hi,

Regarding relative imports: we transform paths into platform-canonical form, so doing:
    import "src/code.js" as JS
    should just work on all platforms.

If you have project/widgets/Button.qml and project/dialogs/SomeDialog.qml you should be able to do:
    import "../widgets"
    inside SomeDialog.qml to gain access to all of the QML document-defined types in the widgets subdir.

Regarding directories in QtCreator: it is important to note that QtCreator doesn't "see" directories. What it sees are Qt projects and subprojects (which are defined in .pro or .pri files).

So, if you want a tree of "subdirectory-like" separations in QtCreator, you should use qmake .pro files (or .qmlproject files for pure-qml projects).

example:

project/myapplication.pro:

#start
    TEMPLATE=subdirs
    CONFIG=ordered
    SUBDIRS += widgets dialogs
    #end

project/widgets/widgets.pro:

#start
    QT += widgets gui quick qml
    HEADERS += someCppWidget.h
    SOURCES += someCppWidget.cpp
    OTHER_FILES += MyButton.qml
    #end

project/widgets/dialogs.pro

#start
    QT += widgets gui quick qml
    HEADERS += someCppDialog.h
    SOURCES += someCppDialog.cpp
    OTHER_FILES += MyDialog.qml
    #end

etc.

Cheers,
    Chris.

• Thank you for your post.
    It is very informative.
    I have one more question regarding paths.
    When I use c++ what should I use?
    Does qmake fix paths automatically like QML runtime does?

• qmake will only parse .pro and .pri files, not cpp files.
    For paths in CPP, you can use QUrl::fromLocalFile("some/path") -- and in that case, yes, it should canonicalise the path on the local filesystem, doing slash replacement etc as required.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.