Detecting when a QGraphicsItem's boundingRect has changed

• I am looking for a clean way to detect when the boundingRect of a QGraphicsItem subclass has changed, or is about to change.

What I have found so far:

-) prepareGeometryChange is not virtual, therefore I should not subclass it (why, oh why is that one not virtual!?)
    -) The itemChange event has everything BUT the boundingRect. I could track a change in position, but if only the size changes, I wouldn't get an event, according to the docs

Other ideas?

• You are the only one that change the boundingRect (calling prepareGeometryChange), so after you call prepareGeometryChange you could call an other function that does all what you want.

• For a QGraphicsTextItem, I doubt that. It automatically seems to enlarge depending on how much text you put into it.

• Hmmm... I would have expected that

setting the QGraphicsItem::ItemSendsGeometryChanges flag on your graphics item, and

reimplement the itemChange() method of your QGraphicsItem

would do the trick, but it seems there is no QGraphicsItem::ItemSizeHasChanged value available. Weird... Good question!

• If your item is a QGraphicsTextItem, its easy; every QGraphicsTextItem have a QTextDocument, so you can connect the signal "contentsChanged()":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qtextdocument.html#contentsChanged with a slot that do what you want.

@
    QObject::connect(QGraphicsTextItem::document(), SIGNAL(contentsChanged()),
    this, SLOT(doSomething()));
    @

[quote author="Asperamanca" date="1341213416"]For a QGraphicsTextItem, I doubt that. It automatically seems to enlarge depending on how much text you put into it.
    [/quote]

• Note that, while that may serve the purpose of the TS, it is not a real solution. A new text might have the same size, after all.

• Mmm I dont understand what TS mean. We want to detect when boundingRect has changed does not matter if the boundingRect has the same size. Or yes?

• @Mario: Thanks for the hint regarding QGraphicsTextItem. It might be a useful workaround, if nothing comes up that works for all QGraphicsItem subclasses.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.