Qt4 with X11 on Mac OSX Lion/Snow Leopard

• I have been trying to install the open source edition of Qt 4.8.2 from source and link to X11 without success. I am currently running OSX 10.7.4. My research group uses some analysis software that uses PyQt4. Most of our other analysis packages still use X11. Also, we have a mac server (running OSX 10.6.8) that we only log into using ssh, so we would like to have the forwarding capability of X11. I have been able to build from the qt source successfully by just running ./configure; make; make install. However, this links to the native Cocoa libraries as one would expect. I have searched for explanations on how to link to X11 instead with little success. I have tried to simply create a different mkspecs folder named linux-g++-mac as suggested in one post, but I get the following errors:
    /usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2/src/corelib/io/qfile.cpp:1259: error: ‘::lseek64’ has not been declared
    /usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2/src/corelib/io/qfile.cpp:1259: error: ‘off64_t’ was not declared in this scope

I am aware that there is a fink package qt4-base-x11. I have worked on installing this, but it has been slow going trying to resolve all of the inconsistent dependencies in the dependencies of qt4-x11 (not qt4-x11 itself). I would prefer to simply install this directly from source if possible. I did try to use the fink info file as an example of the commands I should use to build from source which has gotten me the farthest along in the build. I ran the following perl commands to patch a few files as from the fink build:
    perl -pi -e 's,const char,char,g' config.tests/unix/iconv/.cpp
    perl -pi -e 's,CFG_MAC_XARCH=auto,CFG_MAC_XARCH=no,g' configure

I then ran the following configure command:
    ./configure -x11 -platform darwin-g++ -xplatform darwin-g++ -arch x86_64 -confirm-license -verbose -no-separate-debug-info -L/usr/X11/lib -I/usr/X11/include -no-pch ; make; make install

I have tried this both the XCode gcc and g++ and clang. I did not expect the clang build to work as I have seen other posts about issues with the clang compiler.

The configure script runs through completely with almost no warnings. The only warnings I see are a set of warnings like the following:
    WARNING: Failure to find: generated/AuthenticationManagerMessageReceiver.cpp
    WARNING: Failure to find: generated/DownloadProxyMessageReceiver.cpp
    WARNING: Failure to find: generated/DrawingAreaMessageReceiver.cpp

The only warnings that concerned me were:
    WARNING: /usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2/src/plugins/platforms/cocoa/cocoa.pro:26: Unable to find file for inclusion ../fontdatabases/coretext/coretext.pri
    WARNING: /usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2/src/plugins/platforms/cocoa/cocoa.pro:26: Unable to find file for inclusion ../fontdatabases/coretext/coretext.pri

WARNING: /usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2/src/plugins/s60/feedback/feedback.pro:16: Unable to find file for inclusion data_caging_paths
    WARNING: /usr/local/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2/src/plugins/s60/feedback/feedback.pro:16: Unable to find file for inclusion data_caging_paths

When I ran the make command, there were a few warnings about a variable was defined but not used and one instance of
    <built-in>:0: warning: Mac OS X version 10.5 or later is needed for use of the new objc abi

This warning came right before moc started to build.
    /usr/bin/ranlib: file: libbootstrap.a(qisciicodec.o) has no symbols
    /usr/bin/ranlib: file: libbootstrap.a(qtsciicodec.o) has no symbols
    /usr/bin/ranlib: file: libbootstrap.a(qfilesystemengine_mac.o) has no symbols
    ranlib libbootstrap.a
    ranlib: file: libbootstrap.a(qisciicodec.o) has no symbols
    ranlib: file: libbootstrap.a(qtsciicodec.o) has no symbols
    ranlib: file: libbootstrap.a(qfilesystemengine_mac.o) has no symbols

However, the build crashes when creating the corelib library: libQtCore.dylib.4.8.2 with the error
    Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
    "QSettingsPrivate::create(QSettings::Format, QSettings::Scope, QString const&, QString const&)", referenced from:
    QSettings::setPath_helper(QSettings::Scope, QString const&, QString const&)in qsettings.o
    QSettings::QSettings(QObject*)in qsettings.o
    QSettings::QSettings(QSettings::Format, QSettings::Scope, QString const&, QString const&, QObject*)in qsettings.o
    QSettings::QSettings(QSettings::Format, QSettings::Scope, QString const&, QString const&, QObject*)in qsettings.o
    QSettings::QSettings(QSettings::Scope, QString const&, QString const&, QObject*)in qsettings.o
    QSettings::QSettings(QSettings::Scope, QString const&, QString const&, QObject*)in qsettings.o
    QSettings::QSettings(QString const&, QString const&, QObject*)in qsettings.o
    "QConfFileSettingsPrivate::readPlistFile(QString const&, QMap<QSettingsKey, QVariant>*) const", referenced from:
    QConfFileSettingsPrivate::syncConfFile(int) in qsettings.o
    "QConfFileSettingsPrivate::writePlistFile(QString const&, QMap<QSettingsKey, QVariant> const&) const", referenced from:
    QConfFileSettingsPrivate::syncConfFile(int) in qsettings.o
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [../../lib/libQtCore.dylib.4.8.2] Error 1
    make: *** [release] Error 2
    make: *** [sub-corelib-make_default-ordered] Error 2

qsettings appears to have compiled (as the .o file exists) and there were no warnings produced from that g++ command.

Is it possible to compile Qt4 against X11 from source? Thank you for your time and help with this issue.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.