Problems with $$quote(...) when used with environment variable

• Hi at all,

I'm playing a little bit with CUDA.
    Fortunately, there exists a predefined environment variable called 'CUDA_LIB_PATH' which points to the folder with the needed library.
    In my case the value of this env. var. is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v3.2\lib\Win32', thus I have to use the $$quote(...) function due to the whitespaces in it.

So I wrote the following line to my project file (cuda.lib is the needed library):
    LIBS += $$quote($(CUDA_LIB_PATH)\cuda.lib)
    But this doesn't work, the linker still gets the whitespace separated parts of the string (C:\Program, Files, etc...).

However, if I write the value of the env. var. directly into the project file it works:
    LIBS += $$quote(C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v3.2\lib\Win32\cuda.lib)

Also there is an env. var. for the include files called 'CUDA_INC_PATH'.
    In this case the following statement works:
    INCLUDEPATH += $$quote($(CUDA_INC_PATH))

It is a little bit strange, 'cause for INCLUDEPATH it works but not for LIBS.
    Perhaps someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

• "Undocumented QMake": says the following:

bq. escape_expand(string) — Does what quote() probably should have done originally, it replaces \, \n, \t, and \r with backslash, newline, tab, and carriage return respectively.

• Hi,

thank you for your answer.
    But unfortunately it doesn't change anything :'-(

• Hmm, with spaces putting quotes around it worked for me.
    @LIBS += "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v3.2\lib\Win32\cuda.lib"@

• Yes, writing the path directly into the project file works for me too. But not when using the environment variable. I'm able to use CUDA by defining the path "hard-coded" but it's not really cute.

• I don't have any stuff in paths with spaces, so I'm just guessing. How about this?

@LIBS += $$quote("$(CUDA_LIB_PATH)\cuda.lib")@

@LIBS += "$(CUDA_LIB_PATH)\cuda.lib"@

• Sorry, but it seems to be jinxed. The linker still sees the path splitted by spaces.
    However, thank you very much for the effort.

• Hi, I am having the same issue here.
    On my PC, a path to the NVidia's SDK is set as

NVSDKCOMPUTE_ROOT=C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK 4.0

In my project file , using this environmental variable, I set paths as

win32:INCLUDEPATH += $$quote($(NVSDKCOMPUTE_ROOT)/C/common/inc)
    win32:LIBS += -L$$quote($(NVSDKCOMPUTE_ROOT)/C/common/lib/x64)

While the first line seems to work fine, the second line causes error and shows this message, at the end of the compilation....

Generating Code...
    link /LIBPATH:"c:\Qt\4.7.3\lib" /NOLOGO /DEBUG /DLL /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"debug\mylib.intermediate.manifest" /OUT:..\QtProjects\debug\mylib.dll @C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\mylib.dll.1908.28782.jom
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'Corporation\NVIDIA.obj'

The program compiles and runs fine if the path is hard-coded as

LIBS += -L"C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK 4.0\C\common\lib\x64"

I have a feeling that there is a problem in interpreting the environmental variables with spaces. It is very awkward if I have to modify my project files every time NVidia releases a new SDK. I hope this issue is sorted out in the future release of Qt.

Thank you.

• I would be tempted to use an NTFS junction to provide a path without any spaces in it. Qmake and build tools do not always play nicely with spaces so best to avoid them.

• Well, I have the same issue with ITK. My .pro file is slightly different, I use an environment variable which defines a path with a space (still Program Files...), but I use intermediate variables. I haven't solved it for now and will install ITK to a folder without spaces rather than looking for correct syntax. However it would be great to get help.

Here is what I came up so far, but it's not right.

@# ITK base directory : C:\Program Files\ITK
    ITK = "$(ITK)"

ITK headers base directory

ITK_INCLUDES = "$${ITK}/include/ITK4-5"

ITK libs base directory

ITK_LIBS = "$${ITK}/lib"

Pass information to Qmake (include path)

Pass information to Qmake (lib path)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.