Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

[Solved] Using variables in style sheets qss

• Is there anyway that we can define a hex/rgb numbers to a variable and use them in our stylesheet(.qss) file . For eg

@myColor = #DFDFE0
    QPushButton { background-color: myColor; }@

This is required as there are many components in .qss file where i need to use the same hex value for color. So I was thinking that at the top of the stylesheet file i can define all the variable and use them as required. Also if i need to change the color then i have to change at one place and that will be reflected for all the components.

Thanks

• I dont think stylesheets have support for that.
    you can group rules together, not sure about the exact syntax

QPushButton QLabel QWidget { background-color: #DFDFE0 }

• You can use a text template for the style sheet, create the actual stylesheet as a combination of the template and a theme and set it. See Grantlee for string templating. I did something similar, used just basic string replacement and it works fine.

• @miroslav

Can you give some examples about how can i use this in stylesheets(.qss) file , that will be really helpful. I have gone through the "documentation":http://www.grantlee.org/apidox/for_themers.html but couldn't understand much about how to use it.

Thanks for your time.

• I'd suggest looking at the book example or the unit tests in the grantlee repository. I think the books example is the most complete small example.

• [quote author="stephen" date="1338905990"]I'd suggest looking at the book example or the unit tests in the grantlee repository. I think the books example is the most complete small example.[/quote]

Thanks, Stephen!

• can you post i little code example using it in a qt application because i need it to

• I am trying to run the book example provided in "Grantlee repository":http://gitorious.org/grantlee.
    Dont know where i am going wrong, whenever i run the project i get the following errors

@13:52:01: Running build steps for project books...
    13:52:01: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
    13:52:01: Starting: "C:\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe"
    c:\qtsdk\desktop\qt\4.8.0\msvc2010\bin\qmake.exe -spec ......\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.0\msvc2010\mkspecs\win32-msvc2010 CONFIG+=declarative_debug -o Makefile ..\books\books.pro
    C:\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe -nologo -j 4 -f Makefile.Debug

jom 1.0.6 - empower your cores

Error: dependent 'debug\bookwindow.moc' does not exist.
    command failed with exit code 2
    13:52:02: The process "C:\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe" exited with code 2.
    Error while building project books (target: Desktop)
    When executing build step 'Make'@

What steps should i follow to make this working.
    Thanks.

• I tried but still couldn't get this working.

• You do not need a full-blown template library just to replace some text. If this fits your needs doing a simple QString::replace() does the trick as well.

@
    QPushButton { background-color: myColor; }

QString styleSheet = ...;
    styleSheet.replace("myColor", "#DFDFE0");
    styleSheet.replace(...);
    @

See also "this":http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/18686/ thread.

• [quote author="pritamghanghas" date="1338889298"]I dont think stylesheets have support for that.
    you can group rules together, not sure about the exact syntax

QPushButton QLabel QWidget { background-color: #DFDFE0 }[/quote]
    I just want to mention that this does not do what you expect it to do.

If you want to group several selectors you will have to use commas. <code>QPushButton, QLabel, QWidget { background-color: #DFDFE0 }</code>

Without commas, you are doing a descendant selection.

• Thanks for the help,

For the implementation we created a parser that would parse the css file with the user defined variable and replace the variable with the actual color code.

Regards
    Soumitra.