Qurl isValid

• Using the following code,
    @
    QUrl urlConnection = QUrl::fromUserInput(str);
    std::cout << "tostring: " << urlConnection.toString().toStdString() << std::endl;
    std::cout << "valid: " << (urlConnection.isValid() ? "true" : "false") << std::endl;
    std::cout << "toLocalFile: " << urlConnection.toLocalFile().toStdString() << std::endl;
    QDir d(urlConnection.toLocalFile());
    std::cout << "file exists: " << (d.exists() ? "true" : "false") << std::endl;
    @

When str is equal to file:///C:/Temp/Storage the following output is produced;

bq. tostring: file:///C:/Temp/Storage
    valid: true
    toLocalFile: C:/Temp/Storage
    file exists: true

When str is equal to file://C:/Temp/Storage (notice only two slashes) the following output is produced;

bq. tostring: file://c/Temp/Storage
    valid: true
    toLocalFile: //c/Temp/Storage
    file exists: false

In the second example QUrl reports the instance as valid but when using it with QDir::exists it fails. So is the QUrl instance in fact valid in this case? Or am I using the object incorrectly?

• I don't really understand your question. Why not just use the first one?
    If the second one fails?

• The string in question will be specified in a configuration file, so the value can change and I need a way to valid the data.

The idea was to delegate the parsing of the string to QUrl and just check the isValid method prior to using the value. However, if I cannot trust this method to return the correct result then I might need to look elsewhere. Obviously there might be some flaw with my reasoning hence this post.

• //c/temp is a UNC path (shared folder "temp" on machine name "c")
    The specification for file: urls is

file://host/path

If the host is empty, the path is on the local machine (that's why the "file:///" prefix is usual)
    All the major browsers use "file:///C:/..." for files on the C: drive on windows.

The windows path "\MACHINE\share\file" is represented as "file://MACHINE/share/file" in a QUrl.

I suspect that fromUserInput is matching the "C:" as a "host:port" pattern in that position in a generic URL, and dropping the : as it is redundant. In any case, fromUserInput is designed to guess what the user meant when they typed a non canonical URL.

• I think if the QUrls needs to designate an existing file you should just check for that with QDir::exists. This will return false as well when the Url does not have a valid format. QUrl::isValid will only test that the url follows the url format, not that it actually points to something.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.