Multi-level Tree indexes for Drag and Drop?

• I'm using a subclassed view of QTreeView to display a 2-level deep tree structure that is built on QAbstractItemModel. In the same application window, I'm also showing a graph of real-time data, which is generated by emitted signals when the model's data is updated. What I want to do is drag a row/item from the TreeView into the graph area, and when the mouse is released and I get a dropEvent() call in the Graph object, I want to know which item in the model was Dragged-and-Dropped so that I can begin displaying its realtime data. My issue, though, is that I don't know what 'modelIndex' parent is being used, whether I got a level1 item (and thus the root is the parent) or a level2 item (and thus a level1 item is the parent).

Right now, the default mimeData() I receive from the DnD operation is packaged by QAbstractItemView::startDrag() 's call to QAbstractItemModel::mimeData(), which packs it in the "application/x-qabstractitemmodeldatalist" format, which is basically an index (row, column) followed by the data. From my debugging, the index received does correspond to the row I see in the GUI, but if I 'expand' an item to see the next level of items below it, and then DnD one of them into the graph, I only get the index of the sub item within the expanded item. But in my code I won't know whether the index received is in reIation to the top-level model's root, or in relation to a lower-level branch. It seems to me that QItemSelectionModel only keeps track of a list of selected indexes within a single layer of the model, rather than providing an index for each descending branch in the tree. In the current architecture I was hoping for but couldn't find something that provided a series of hierarchical indexes between the root of the model and the selected item.

So in summary, does anyone know a method of figuring out the location of the currently selected item within a multiple-level tree model? I'll then encode this data in my mimeData() function to be passed to my Graph in the DnD operation. I'm guessing QT provides a method and I just can't find it.

• Just to clarify:
    With model->selectionModel()->selectedIndexes() you get a QList<QModelIndex> of selected indexes. On the QModelIndex, you can call parent() to get the parent index and thus have a possibility to find the complete path up to the root index (in which case parent().isValid() returns false). isn't this what you need?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.