Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QFileDialog prevent user from overriding file filter

• I have a QFileDialog used like:

fileName = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this, tr("Open Image"), "/home/jana", tr("Image Files (*.png *.jpg *.bmp)"));

This filters and shows only image files which is all good and nice. However, the user is still allowed to override this by typing "*" in the filename field and pressing enter. By looking at the documentation there isn't a suitable signal I can connect to and filter or deny that input. Any suggestions how to prevent the user from overriding the file filter and showing other non image files?

• @Dimi
    QFileDialog::filterSelected(const QString &filter) might? But may only be if user selects a filter, not types into field, I don't know? You would have to use a QFileDialog instance to use that.

Really you mostly want to check the returned filename for acceptability rather than worrying about what filter the user may or may not use.

• Instancing QFileDialog or creating my own is not a problem. I tried all signals and filterSelected is when a user selects a filter, not types (as you suspected). I was just wondering if there's any way not to show at any file types that shouldn't be accepted. Checking the output afterwards is a good enough solution. Thank you for the suggestion!

• @Dimi you can check file after open file dialog finished
    If file end with.jpg .png etc....