Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Widget stays on top of the qt application

• Hi everyone,
    i have currently the following problem:

I have two QMainWindows 'A' and 'B' which both have no parent so they are independent widgets. Now i have a third non modal widget 'C' which should stay on top of widget A and B.

Is there any way to tell a widget to stay on top of all other widgets but only of this application? I only found the flag Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint but by unsing this flag the widget will stay on top of every other window of other application too.

• @TanteDroll
    Do you need 2 QMainWindows (or any other QWidget, there is nothing special about QMainWindow)? Did you consider, say, one QMainWindow holding a QStackedWidget for your current other two widgets?

• Moderators

The only mean to control this is via parent-child relation but a widget can't have two parents so there's no direct way to do this.
    Some workarounds would be to have one main window become a parent of the other. Another one could be switching parent main window e.g. when any of them gets focus or some such tricks.

• @JonB Yes in this case it is necessary but thank you for your reply

• @Chris-Kawa Ok, I wanted to be sure that i diddn't miss any qt option. I guess i have to make a concept to assign the parent dynamicly. Thanks for the help.