Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to update QTreeView when reordering siblings in a custom Tree model

• I have a QTreeView that displays my custom model.
    It works, but now I need to reorder the children of a item in the tree.

I tried to do this in the modell, but it crashes my program

In this code, item is the current item that should change order among its siblings

beginMoveRows(item->parentItem()->index(),  1,   item->parentItem()->childCount(), item->parentItem()->index(), 1);
    // re order the children
    endMoveRows();

Any advice on how to do this?

Or is there a way of reloading the entire model?

• Are you only moving one item? I think it should be

beginMoveRows(parent's index,  item's curent row, item's current row again, parent's index again, the row item is moving to);

Take a detail look at beginMoveRows's 3rd and 4th example.

For reloading, I think that should be beginResetModel() and endResetModel()

• Yes, only moving one item, but after reading the examples I think it will be trick yo use the beginMoveRows method, since I'm moving one item by calling std::sort on all the siblings (including the moved item, they are in a QList)
    So I don't really know where the item will end up before moving them.

I can of course try to find the new position before sorting, but that feels like double-work.
    I guess a call to beginResetModel would be the easiest way (but slower?)

Or is there any better ways of doing this?

• @OpenGL
    If it is about sorting I think you can take a look at the Qt source code about how its treemodel handles an item's children sorting.

https://code.woboq.org/qt5/qtbase/src/widgets/itemviews/qtreewidget.cpp.html#_ZN15QTreeWidgetItem12sortChildrenEiN2Qt9SortOrderEb

emit model->layoutAboutToBeChanged({}, QAbstractItemModel::VerticalSortHint);
    //...do the sorting...update the persistent index list if there's any
    emit model->layoutChanged({}, QAbstractItemModel::VerticalSortHint);

As I can see it just emit layoutAboutToBeChanged and layoutChanged signals without specifying any index.

• I solved it by calculating the new position for the item.