Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Writing regular text data to a QDataStream (or writing binary data to QTextStream)

• Title, for my code I've got a binary file format which has mostly binary data but also has null-terminated text in it for a name/description.

So, I tried writing it with QTextStream, which resulted in some really weird results. I was trying to write a 12-byte long vector (specifically, a Botan::secure_vector<uint8_t>. I tried this by converting it to a QByteArray, but it wrote it as if it was in its "\xXX" form which didn't work of course. I tried looping through the vector, and writing each individual byte to it as a QChar, but this was even stranger. Using qDebug, the output of the IV itself was std::vector(164, 204, 3, 146, 159, 255, 163, 30, 59, 11, 162, 211), but when I read the file back, I get std::vector(194, 164, 195, 140, 3, 194, 146, 194, 159, 195, 191, 239, 191, 189). I have no idea what could possibly cause this.

I also tried writing it as a const char *. In this case, before, it was std::vector(244, 204, 239, 205, 113, 104, 26, 15, 181, 0, 244, 219) and after reading it back, I got std::vector(239, 191, 189, 239, 191, 189, 239, 191, 189, 239, 191, 189). Yet again, what's going on here? It's literally just a stream of 239, 191, 189. Sometimes it would put that sequence before every single byte.

So yeah, after that, I tried QDataStream, which worked except that all the text was serialized as a QString, so 4 bytes of length then the contents. I didn't want this and just wanted to write the text itself (and of course, null-terminate it). And I couldn't get anything to work, I tried writing as const char * and QByteArray.

Now that that's out of the way, what exactly should I do here?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

When you don't want to use the format of QDataStream then use ofstream or something else. The format of QDataStream is fixed and can not be changed. The output of a QDataStream is also only to be used with QDataStream and nothing else. So either accept the 4 bytes or do it by your own / with another class.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@swirl said in Writing regular text data to a QDataStream (or writing binary data to QTextStream):

Now that that's out of the way, what exactly should I do here?

If you want a custom format, you have to write it out by yourself. QDataStream needs those bytes to know the length of the string later on when reading the data.

• @Christian-Ehrlicher wdym "write it out by myself"?

this worked when I used an ofstream, and like I said it's a null-terminated string.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

When you don't want to use the format of QDataStream then use ofstream or something else. The format of QDataStream is fixed and can not be changed. The output of a QDataStream is also only to be used with QDataStream and nothing else. So either accept the 4 bytes or do it by your own / with another class.