[Solved] "Unavailable synchronous data" when setting variable in object.

• Hello Qt devs!

I'm currently working on implementing a QThread in my application, to handle some communication. It listens to a com port, and handles incoming data. A part of this routine is that it sets a variable on an object created in my main program thread. I've tried following the example below:

@class Worker : public QObject
    {
    Q_OBJECT

public slots:
    void doWork() {
    /* ... */
    }
    };

/* ... */
    QThread *thread = new QThread;
    Worker *worker = new Worker;
    //obj is a pointer to a QObject that will trigger the work to start. It could just be this
    connect(obj, SIGNAL(startWork()), worker, SLOT(doWork()));
    worker->moveToThread(thread);
    thread->start();
    //obj will need to emit startWork() to get the work going.
    @
    (From "this article":http://http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.7/qthread.html )
    In the doWork() function, I do the actual setting of a variable. This is not possible though. I get an segmentation error saying: "unavailable synchronous data". Is this because I try to change a variable in another thread?

Thank you for your time!

Btw Bradley T. Hughes says I'm doing it wrong.

• Okay, it seems that it has nothing to do with the thread.

I tried running the communication code in the main thread. Again when I try to set the variable in the object, my application crashes. When I check the debugger (using Qt Creator) I see that all the variables in my object has “unavailable synchronous data”.

Any idea what it could be?

Thank you for your time!

• A small yet complete, compilable example would help.

• I finally fixed my problem.

Instead of setting the variables directly in my object, I now use a signal and slot to inform my resource class that a variable is updated. This class should handle all my data - creating objects, updating them and so on (I use a Model - View - Controller pattern).

Exactly why it didn't work before I don't know.

It is hard for me to give a small yet complete, compilable example. I hope though this is sufficient information. Else feel free to ask for more information.

Thank you for your time!

• As long as it's solved for you, that's ok :-)

• Can you show some code?!
    I'm having a similar problem, but with some code will help me to find the solution for me!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.