"Cannot open include file: windows.h" when compiling example from tutorial.

• Hi!
    I'm new to Qt, so I decided to start from running some tutorials (from QtCreator).
    I wanted to compile a project from tutorial 2 "Creating a Qt Quick Application Using Qt Quick Components", but ended with the below error message:

@
    D:\Software\QtSDK\QtCreator\bin\jom.exe -nologo -j 8 -f Makefile.Release
    cl -c -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -O2 -MD -GR -EHsc -W3 -w34100 -w34189 -DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQ_COMPONENTS_SYMBIAN -DHAVE_MOBILITY -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_DECLARATIVE_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_HAVE_MMX -DQT_HAVE_3DNOW -DQT_HAVE_SSE -DQT_HAVE_MMXEXT -DQT_HAVE_SSE2 -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\include\QtCore" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\include\QtNetwork" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\include\QtGui" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\include\QtDeclarative" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\include" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\QtMobility\msvc2008\include\QtSystemInfo" -I"d:\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\QtMobility\msvc2008\include\QtMobilitySimulator" -I"..\Tut1\qmlapplicationviewer" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\QtMobility\msvc2008\include" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\QtMobility\msvc2008\include\QtMobility" -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\Tut1" -I"." -I"......\Software\QtSDK\Simulator\Qt\msvc2008\mkspecs\win32-msvc2008" -Forelease\ @C:\Users\113010~1\AppData\Local\Temp\qmlapplicationviewer.obj.2328.0.jom
    qmlapplicationviewer.cpp
    d:\software\qtsdk\simulator\qt\msvc2008\mkspecs\win32-msvc2008../win32-msvc2005/qplatformdefs.h(67) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
    Copying application data...
    2 File(s) copied
    @

I have no clue how to tell the compiler where to look for windows.h header.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Did you install Visual Studio or Visual Studio Express 2008, or a Windows SDK? Otherwise, you cannot use the MSVC 2008 target. If you want something that works out of the box, use the MinGW target instead.

You should have received a warning about that in the installer though.

• Thanks for the answer.

I have a Professional 2008 and didn't notice any warning during installation. Also Qt Creator seems to recognize it well.
    I wanted to change the tool set from Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler 9.0 (x86) to MinGW (it also appears in the dialog when clicked Manage button), but the combo box is inactive.

Also sometimes (it probably depends on what example I choose) I encounter linker error: LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib' (no such file).

Don't know what to do.

• I wanted to do it with Visual Studio, but nothing helped (even reinstalling Windows SDK) :(

Using MinGW, as you suggested, solved the problem (I had to use SDKMaintenanceTool.exe and add MinGW package to QtSDK installation).

Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.