Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Context Menu Event

• Hi, everyone.
    I have a problem on the context menu Event.
    I have a window of this kind: Annotazione 2020-06-09 134358.png
    the white box on the left is a textEdit, while the right one is a QTreeWidget.
    I've implemented the context menu in the following way:

void notepad::contextMenuEvent(QContextMenuEvent *)
    {
        QMenu submenu;
        QString style="QMenu {border-radius:15px; background-color: white;margin: 2px; border: 1px solid rgb(58, 80, 116); color:  rgb(58, 80, 116);}QMenu::separator {height: 2px;background: rgb(58, 80, 116);margin-left: 10px;margin-right: 5px;}";
        submenu.setStyleSheet(style);
        submenu.addAction(tr("Copy"),this,&notepad::on_actionCopy_triggered);
        submenu.addSeparator();
        submenu.addAction(tr("Cut"),this,&notepad::on_actionCut_triggered);
        submenu.addSeparator();
        submenu.addAction(tr("Paste"),this,&notepad::on_actionPaste_triggered);
        submenu.addSeparator();
        QPoint globalPos=ui->textEdit->cursor().pos();
        submenu.exec(globalPos);
    }

Everything works, but I would like to show this menu only If I click with the mouse in the textEdit part and not in the part that shows a list of onlineUsers.
    How can I do it?

• @Martinuccia_96
    You want to place the context menu on the text edit, not on the whole window (notepad?). QTextEdit has its own dedicated context menu support --- see https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtextedit.html#contextMenuEvent & https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtextedit.html#createStandardContextMenu. The other way would be to test the position of the QContextMenuEvent in your code and only pop up the menu if it's over the QTextEdit, but I think the former approach seems more appropriate/convenient.

• @JonB Yes, I want to do it.. I didn't use the standardContextMenu because I needed to modify it.

• This is not the usual way to do it, you don't need to reimplement an event.

1. add QMenu *m_textEditContextMenu; as a private member of notepad
    2. in the constructor of notepad add
        ui->textEdit->setContextMenuPolicy(Qt::CustomContextMenu);
        connect(ui->textEdit,&QWidget::customContextMenuRequested,this,&notepad::showTextEditContextMenu);

m_textEditContextMenu=new QMenu(this);
        const auto stylesheet=QStringLiteral("QMenu {border-radius:15px; background-color: white;margin: 2px; border: 1px solid rgb(58, 80, 116); color:  rgb(58, 80, 116);}QMenu::separator {height: 2px;background: rgb(58, 80, 116);margin-left: 10px;margin-right: 5px;}");
        m_textEditContextMenu->setStyleSheet(stylesheet);
        m_textEditContextMenu->addAction(tr("Copy"),this,&notepad::on_actionCopy_triggered);
        m_textEditContextMenu->addSeparator();
        m_textEditContextMenu->addAction(tr("Cut"),this,&notepad::on_actionCut_triggered);
        m_textEditContextMenu->addAction(tr("Paste"),this,&notepad::on_actionPaste_triggered);

1. create a private slot
    void showTextEditContextMenu(const QPoint &pos){
    m_textEditContextMenu->popup(ui->textEdit->mapToGlobal(pos));
    }

• THANKS SO MUCH!