OpenGL apps don't run when started from QtCreator >=2.3 but work fine in 2.1/2.2

• Hello,

I am using QtCreator on an openSuSE 11.4(64bit) system to develop an OpenGL application with Qt 4.7.4. Everything works fine with QtCreator 2.1 and 2.2, however, with versions 2.3 and 2.4rc I cannot run the application directly from QtCreator anymore.

On my machine, the problem is reproducible with the OpenGL examples that come with Qt. When I load the "textures" example in QtCreator 2.2, it runs fine. When I run the same example in version 2.3.1 or 2.4rc (2.3.84), I get the following error and the application doesn't display anything:

X Error: BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error) 16
    Extension: 136 (Uknown extension)
    Minor opcode: 1 (Unknown request)
    Resource id: 0x8a0001b

I've added the following line to GLWidget::initializeGL() in the application:
    @std::cout << "OpenGL version supported by this platform (glGetString): " << glGetString(GL_VERSION) << std::endl;@
    and get the following output:

QtCreator 2.1 and 2.2:
    OpenGL version supported by this platform (glGetString): 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.44

QtCreator 2.3.1 and 2.4rc:
    OpenGL version supported by this platform (glGetString): 1.4 (2.1.2 NVIDIA 260.19.44)

Hence, the problem is that the app doesn't get the right OpenGL version. When I run the app from the console, I always get OpenGL 4.1. Has anyone made similar experiences, that is, is this a bug or am I missing something in the new creator version?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Are you using the same Qt version in both Qt Creator 2.1/2.2 and 2.3?

Are there differences in the environment used to run your application? Check Project->build/run settings.

• Thanks a lot for your reply, it helped me find the problem! I used the same Qt version and the same run environment settings ("build environment"). However, upon a closer look I noticed that QtCreator 2.3 appends a "/usr/lib64" to the beginning of LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the "build environment" (2.2 doesn't). Switching to "system environment" that goes away and everything runs fine. So maybe there are some conflicting libraries on my system.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.