Configure on Ubuntu

• Hi, Which mkspec should i use for compile Qt4.8 on Ubuntu? I currently configured with G++ but when i run my application, it looks different than OS global platform with different colors and wide fonts. Not usable at all.
    Any ideas?

• I'm using Fedora and I installed a Qt from repository by yum. In Ubuntu you can do similar. You should download from repository Qt and this should work(apt-get is an equivalent of yum).

• i already have Qt4.7.2 on my Ubuntu. I have to use 4.8.

• Moderators

Use Qt SDK.

If you really want to compile (or already had), maybe just the style is missing. Try running your app with "-style x" where x is, for example, cleanlooks. More info "HERE":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.7/qstyle.html.

• I couldn't configure with styles on linux. it seems they're only supported on windows.

• I'll try compile qt 4.8 on my Fedora and check the decoration of apps. Styles are in plugins - maybe you turn off plugins or your qt build doesn't support plugins?

• Hi everyone

My development platform is for Linux.

I share what I think is a common problem for Linux users. If I use QT on UBUNTU lts (10.4), supported until 2013, the qt-everywhere... crashes, with an x11) error (script location around line 5000). The error messages are not telling me what to do.

If I use the most current UBUNTU, and run the SDK, I found that it was best to do it with sudo, as the default location becomes set to /opt.

Please verify, but qmake was not part of the SDK (an oversight?). I subsequently installed qt-everywhere.... and did a sudo make install, followed by the export command for the path.
    By putting both /bin outputs together, I believe that I am now able to proceed. I also moved qmake to the SDK's bin directory.

Compile on one system to test on another.

I have a business partner across the ocean. He is standardized on Debian. QT does not install on Debian, as I have setup a Debian distribution.

My view is that while developers and users assume a flawless installation, there are installation problems that may be driving away beginners like myself.

I still cannot compile for Debian, and give the executable to another Debian user who has a system at a different maintenance level.

Is there a preferred development platform as I find that one platform has qt3 modules and libraries, and another, qt4.3, or qt4.x and now we are looking at qt4.8. Is this a problem, when it will come time to export the executables?

Leslie in Montreal Canada

• On my linux with compiled Qt 4.8 a sample empty GUI app looks ok. I think that you have problem with plugins or a new Qt is mixed in run-time with old Qt. Try
    @
    ldd application
    @
    on app and look for libraries which app will load.
    Also check this:
    @
    lsof | grep application | grep Qt
    @
    this will print a libraries which are loaded while a application is running.

I think that you have a conflict in system, or something is missing.

To compile an application with Qt 4.8 I configured a Qt Creator - nothing more.

• I'v been also compiling Qt4.8 on Ubuntu and I'v got similar problem. If I creat new app with Hello World, font is wide and almost unreadable. I was able to make it better by running /opt/Trolltech/Qt4.8.0/bin/qtconfig and selecting different font. I'v been trying to load custom font for my app using QFontDatabase, but it doesn't seem to work:-/

• @lsatens
    [quote author="lsatenstein" date="1321973375"]... I share what I think is a common problem for Linux users. If I use QT on UBUNTU lts (10.4), supported until 2013, the qt-everywhere... crashes, with an x11) error (script location around line 5000). The error messages are not telling me what to do.

Leslie in Montreal Canada

[/quote]

Leslie, I suggest to make that a separate topic titled "Qt on Ubuntu LTS/Debian" or something like that. People will be able to help you here.

• Thank you guys, The problem still exists. Does anybody configured Qt 4.8 on Ubuntu?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.