[solved] renaming include files...any way to automate editing?

• So, let's say I have an include file that I wish to rename, and its old name is already scattered through many source files. Is there a way to automate this within Creator, or am I stuck with good old cut-and-paste?

I'm sure I could do it with a shell script, but...I haven't done that stuff in decades.

Thanks.

• Just use the global search/replace. Cmd-Shift-F (you're on a Mac, aren't you? :) )

Then enter

#include "myoldinclude.h"

in the search field, enter * into the file pattern, check case sensitive, search in all projects and click on the "search & replace" button. You'll get a list of the files and the lines that match and on top you can enter the replacement

#include "mynewheader.h"

• Thanks, Volker. Now that you've shown it to me, I can see that it's available through Edit->Find/Replace->Advanced Find. (It's easier for me to remember the menu paths than all the meta-key commands.) I see it can be used on symbols as well as text, though the "Search & Replace" button is ghosted out for that option.

This is a very handy feature; thanks for showing it to me.

• For symbols, there is a more convenient (and safe!) way: go to the symbol you want to rename and hit Cmd-Shift-R (or choose refactoring / rename symbol from the context menu). In case the symbol is used in the current file only, you can edit in-place, in case it's spread over multiple files, a search result tab similar to that of the globals search/replace pops up. This way renaming a symbol is much more safe, as it works on the parsed C++ code (and you do not need to take care of such problems like renaming "i" to "row" and also catching "i2" and making it "row2").

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.